DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
http://www.oemautopartsco.com/product_extra_files/HDD Install.pdf

Wow...guess I never researched this but their writeup of replacing the hdd seems stupid easy and about the same as a PS3 drive swap.

I would never pay $200+ for a 30GB anything but since I work in IT I have a dozen or more 160GB drives laying around after we replaced some lab laptops with 640GB drives.

Looks like I have a project for the weekend.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Let us know how it works out... I'm curious... On other devices (not necessarily radios) the drives a partitioned funny, with one being the firmware... (thinking preboxed NAS's for you IT folks)

I'm hoping it's as easy as described.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Replacement HDD

You just have to google it. I found it once, & I'll look again and see if i can find the link. I want to change mine to a SSD so it won't get messed up when off road. I know it's an "automotive drive" so it's sturdier then a laptop drive but it still has plates that have to spin up. I also remember that the drives are EIDE which means in order to switch to SATA SSD I'll need an adapter. You need to clone the origional drive using linuxlive cd and you have to boot from 430n drive without windows as windows will write to it & screw it up. I'll see if i can find it again. It's a four year old post though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I looked at it on my Challenger some time ago and decided against it since the iPod interface works better anyway. I just picked up another iPod at a pawn shop cheap to keep in the Ram. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest as it's just for tunes. My wife uses my Gen1 iPhone as she doesn't keep a big selection in her SUV. Like having it all so I have all 12000 songs from my iTunes library on a 160GB iPod at 256AAC.

Why reinvent the wheel when used iPods are cheap?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts