DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at ordering a 2012 soon, and building it, there's two options for the media centre... a 430N and 730N both say AM/FM/SAT/HDD/NAV .. whats the difference? Besides $500 cheaper for the 430N?

I've searched around on here, and there's really no definitive side-by-side comparison...

thanks!

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
i'm sort of guessing here
the RHB 430N has Garmin navigation
the RHR 730N has NAVTEQ navigation

from what i heard the Garmin Navigation is better, it doesn't take you too far off coarse

both radios have a good quality as far as music goes

I won't tell you which to pick
I can use vocal commands while moving, telling my NAV where i want to go
some MYGIG radios don't have that feature, those need a aftermarket device

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just adding my 2cents from what I understand:

730N allows voice recognition for adding a destination to GPS nav. But the navigation is [not garmin] which a lot of folks DON'T LIKE at all due to lack of database updates on roads resulting in way off routes

430N is Garmin, but doesn't allow entry while moving, by voice prompts or screen input. This can be overcome with a 'lockpick' or 'allgig' device installed, but it's pricey.

Other than that, I -think- those are the only major diffs.

Hope this adds some value.

Looking at ordering a 2012 soon, and building it, there's two options for the media centre... a 430N and 730N both say AM/FM/SAT/HDD/NAV .. whats the difference? Besides $500 cheaper for the 430N?

I've searched around on here, and there's really no definitive side-by-side comparison...

thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that hardly explains the $500 price difference then. Hm, so I get the 430N for $500-$600 (the 730N is +$500), then the lock pick device for, say $200? I'm still ahead of the game. I have to be missing something here...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well that hardly explains the $500 price difference then. Hm, so I get the 430N for $500-$600 (the 730N is +$500), then the lock pick device for, say $200? I'm still ahead of the game. I have to be missing something here...
Your not missing anything!! I had the Navteq in my BMW and it was junk!! Not everything that is more expensive is better.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ah, didn't think of that, I got my camera (mopar) for about $200 from the dealer, but had the tailgate remote lock and camera installed for about $300 from the dealer.

I found out the hard way-no backup camera with the 430N-only standard with the 730

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
both the 730N RHR & the 430N RHB MIGIG radios have the ability to be used with the REAR VIEW Cameras
using the ALLGIG or LOCKPICK, allows you to have 2 cameras if you want them, also they bypass the safety feature, allowing all Nav functions to work while moving

the 430 RBZ can't be used with a backup camera
the cheapy radio, RES 130 can't be used with the camera either
there are actually 2 RES radios, one of them doesn't have a Uconnect function either

When you do get whichever radio you want, make sure that you also get the modules that you want to use, Uconnect module for cell phone use, Smart phone module if you have an Ipad/Iphone/Ipod,

The sales persons don't know beans about radios or rear ends, you can count on that

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Its funny but the 730 is $550 cheaper than the 430 right now according to the Canadian website.

Weird.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the bluetooth connectivity is the Uconnect system? and from what I read, is only on the 730N? Cause that will be a must-have for me. Absolutely LOVE that function on my current GMC.

·
Registered
340 Posts
U-Connect is available on the 430's and 730.

430 is just the radeo/cd/dvd
430N has the Garmin Nav and Sirius
730N has the MyGig And Sirus

I have no clue why there is a big diff in the price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
U-Connect is available on the 430's and 730.

430 is just the radeo/cd/dvd
430N has the Garmin Nav and Sirius
730N has the MyGig And Sirus

I have no clue why there is a big diff in the price.
Interesting. I have the 430, but I also have the uconnect w/voice command, Bluetooth and Sirius. I don't have the navigation system, but I suspect I can get a mod to add it if I ever need it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Major differences:

Graphics: The RHB uses navigation software by Garmin, while the RER/RHR uses navigation software by Navteq. The graphics and some features are different.

Dead Reckoning: When a vehicle doesn't have a clear view of the sky - such as in a tunnel or garage, or when surrounded by tall buildings - all navigation systems lose reception of GPS satellite signals. The 730N has a "dead reckoning" feature which enables it to estimate the current location until the sky is once again visible. (At start-up, it also remembers the vehicles last location, and immediately displays this estimated location until it can read signals for a precise fix). This is also known as "Enhanced GPS". The RHB does not have dead reckoning: it will display a question mark until it can receive GPS satellite signals and identify the current location.

Voice Command: With the 730N, drivers can program a desired destination using Uconnect Voice Command, while the vehicle is in motion. While the voice command is packaged with the 430N on most vehicles (and an option on the rest), it cannot be used to operate the navigation system - the vehicle must be parked so that drivers can enter a destination using the on-screen keyboard.

Traffic: The 730N includes traffic information provided by sirius; the first year's subscription is free. The 430N does not offer this feature. However, the 430N is able to receive the SIRIUS Travel Link service, with helpful information about weather, nearby filling stations and prices, nearby movie theaters and show times, and even sports scores. The RER radio cannot do this, but its replacement model, the RHR, includes the feature.

Split-screen mode: With the 730N you can view music and navigation screens at the same time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have the 430N in my 2011 with the camera. I do not have voice command while driving but voice command or programming. I actually like my 430N it is dead on for directions. My only complaint is I wish I had a bigger screen but the one there is fine for nav.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My vote is for the 430n. I have had both systems in my vehicles and I like the 430n with the Garmin much better. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
340 Posts
It is nice that they got rid of the dongle for the iwhatever attachment and just installed another USB port in the 12's. I hear they have had some problems with that dongle.

Mikeski...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts