DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 440 and 727 transmission I want to put in my 91 swb 3.9 V6’s truck. Any idea on what problem I may Encounter

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'd suspect the 3.9 has a lighter duty differential, 440's are torque monsters. Front springs may need to be changed. As long as it's carbureted, should be an interesting project. Might even surprise you by getting decent mpg"s. Friend of mine runs a 413 in his 1956 Ram with a 4 speed, it hauls azz and gets 21 mpg! He runs high 7's in the eighth mile.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Like Wallam said, most likely you have the 8 1/4 rear. A 440 will twist that thing up like a pretzel. few lesser issues involving computer bypasses. Will bneed a bigger radiator too.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Swap the rear out of a V8 truck it will have the 9 1/4. It would be wise to get limit slip unit. Definitely get a larger radiator, Get a V10 or diesel rad it will fit with no issues. Fuel pump i think will need to changed as well. Don't know what the stocker puts out but you may want to look into it. I believe the pcm works the dash gauges so you will need aftermarket ones.

Friend of mine runs a 413 in his 1956 Ram with a 4 speed, it hauls azz and gets 21 mpg!
Fourth gear is overdrive, The 727 doesn't have it. If you do it put a spread bore carb on it. Depending on how you plan on driving it you could put a A518 in it.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/35994/big-block-a518-overdrive-conversion-lots-of-pics.html

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
With the torque of the 440, you could go with the 727 and run 2.76's and be happy. It'll give you a good point to build on. If you feel the need to do more later on, you can always upgrade. Meantime you'll already have a torquey setup that'll run pretty easy at highway speeds, but still have the grunt to twist those stiff gears, but at the same time won't be so quick to slip the tires (not much weight on the rear) every time you look at the throttle. The stock fuel pump should easily feed a street 440. You can plumb in a regulator. I used a Mallory unit with single inlet, dual outlet on my Shelby Dak. Set the pressure for 8-9 psi (pump produces 14 psi), and plumbed the secondary outlet into the fuel line return. Also check wit these guys: http://engine-swaps.com/

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Actually, I made a mistake....the result of being barely awake. I stated the fuel pump supplied about 14psi. That is incorrect. The volume supplied is the question. The pressure is controlled by the TBI fuel pressure regulator, which is set for 14psi. The pump is able to supply volume sufficient to feed the 318 and 360 of that setup at WOT and maintain 14psi. I am not sure of the actual volume capacity of the pump, but the stock replacement pump shows free-flow output of 49.5 gallons per hour with max working pressure of 38psi and I'd say that's considerably more than the mechanical pumps used on the 440's back in the day. New replacement mechanical pumps for a '69 440 Magnum show a max free-flow output of 33 gph with a working pressure of 6psi. All this is to say, the stocker electric pump should have more than enough reserve capacity. If you run into starvation issues, you still have the option to run larger lines and an even higher output pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts