DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 1500 with a 360 cid, and an 46rfe automatic transmission. I have read a lot of posts about slippery trans or lack of power or trans shifts irratically. There is a TSB on alldata and on Chrysler's corporate webpage pertaining to the 46rfe transmission. The TSB refers to flashing the PCM to correct the irratic shifting. I had this flash done about two weeks ago and it helped the problem out. But just yester day I had the transmission services and the bands adjusted, and now the irratic shifting has returned. What I'm getting at is that the problem may not be in the trans for most people, but rather with the engine. There is another thread on adjusting the TPS and I'm going to give that a try. Just to let you all know whats up.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I just bought a 2000 1500 with a 360 cid, and an 46rfe automatic transmission. I have read a lot of posts about slippery trans or lack of power or trans shifts irratically. There is a TSB on alldata and on Chrysler's corporate webpage pertaining to the 46rfe transmission. The TSB refers to flashing the PCM to correct the irratic shifting. I had this flash done about two weeks ago and it helped the problem out. But just yester day I had the transmission services and the bands adjusted, and now the irratic shifting has returned. What I'm getting at is that the problem may not be in the trans for most people, but rather with the engine. There is another thread on adjusting the TPS and I'm going to give that a try. Just to let you all know whats up.
Erratic shifts in most cases are due to the throttle valve cable going out of adjustment. It wouldn't surprise me considering your truck is 12 years old! To be honest, dealers don't know anything about fixing what they sell, some have great mechanics others have idiots! Anyway's yea the TPS is really used to determine the position of the throttle for the transmission to know when to shift into OD and when to apply the converter clutch, the throttle valve is used in a similar fashion but it covers all the gears and if adjusted you can have it so the truck will have taller shifts or short shifts, however because of the faults in the valve body it's very difficult to setup the throttle valve cable for taller shifts, their are many valves that need to be replaced in order to precision tune the cable to fit your mannors of shift. anyways have someone check out that little cable, so many vehicles have these cables and it just makes a world of difference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts