DODGE RAM FORUM banner

472914 miles engine failure under warranty

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Ramzaq 
#1 ·
Engine failed last week. Timing gear broke resulting in in damage to three pistons. Chrysler is replacing engine under unlimited warranty. Wow!

#2 ·
Well, if it has to go, better it went under warranty.

#8 ·
That's a pretty good run. It's good to hear that they're standing behind the warranty and replacing the motor rather than trying to blame it on something to avoid the claim.

#10 ·
What kind of driving conditions and are you chasing tornadoes or what to get 40-50K miles a year? Trans still original, little to no towing?

Also, who is your extended warranty through and how much?

Awesome, makes those of us that use the truck as a daily commuter and put decent miles on feel optimistic. Well, minus lifter issues.

#12 ·
I guess we should service the timing assembly before 400,000 miles then, good to know:LOL:

That lifetime powertrain warranty really is a sweet deal, my dad got his pinion seal replaced a few weeks ago on his 2009 for free. I think they may have screwed up the install because the pinion chewed up the ring gear and he had to get the diff rebuilt last week-which was also free. He only has around 116,000 miles on his though.

Do you have any odometer pics OP?

#13 ·
I travel 50 to 55 K per year mainly highway driving. Pull trailer maybe once a month for recreation. Truck has been very dependable. Blend doors on heater/AC give me problems. Had them all replaced about two years ago and need to do it again before winter. Has unlimited lifetime warranty on powertrain from Chrysler which was included with truck when I bought it new. Chrysler did not give me much grief on new engine. Had to authorize 5 hours shop time to open up engine to see what was wrong.

#14 ·
Might be a good idea to check timing gears at 400000 miles. The engine was running good and using very little oil. maybe 1 quart every three K miles. If the timing gear did not fail, I believe the engine would have at least another 100 k in it.

#15 ·
This thread is so awesome to read on so many levels. Thanks for posting and congrats on such a milestone of miles there. Do you have any pics of the truck? How's the body holding up?

#16 ·
I just picked it up. Daughter wanted Pic in front of East High School. We are headed to Cheyenne. Dealership said as long as I have records on fluid change for rest of drivetrain every 120000 Miles then warranty is good. So I had the transmission, differentials and transfer case service which takes me to 600000. Still original alternator and starter.

Attachments

#17 ·
She's still looking great, thanks for posting up the pics. You even still have your pillar tape intact!

#18 ·
Before i sold my HEMI powered 2009 Ram, it also had the Factory Lifetime Powertrain Warranty
I also had the Mopar Lifetime Maximum Care Extended Warranty

I sold that truck just about a year ago, the new owner & i run into each other from time to time
He is still smiling :) , the only thing that he has had to do was replace the water pump
He stopped by on the 4th of July just to say Hello

I only put 20,000 miles a year
My 2016 will have 40,000 miles on it at the end of August 2018
as soon as this Eco-diesel hits 100,000 miles, it will be sold
I dislike the diesel engine noise when idling, i wake up the neighbors when it starts up

The HEMI even with the Magnaflow exhaust never woke them up

#21 ·
09s and I think 08s came with unlimited mileage powertrain warranties. You just have to take it in every 5 years IIRC for an inspection

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.