DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
A year or two ago was checking my '97 Caravan in that same area, it was packed with dirt and debri. I took the hose and cleaned it out, it took awhile to thoroughly clean it , but I found no rust in the area. Then again I don't live in the salt belt.

Probably most vehicles have this issue since it is an obvious drain route and collection point.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hmmm....new project. Take the rear wheel liners out and inspect. On a similar note, when I was running wiring for the rear camera, I noticed small rust blisters on the frame. Only after the rear axle, nothing forward. I don't drive a lot of miles, but some salt in the winter.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Checked the foam insert on my old man's 2012 Express this weekend. Didn't pull the foam piece out (couldn't get my hand back there or see an easy way to open that space up), but I could hear leaves crushing when I pressed on it.

Can you post pics of how you got the foam out to clean that out? Any idea where it's coming from?

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You have to remove the wheel well liner screws and get in there from the wheel well. I am out of state for the next several weeks so I cant post pics

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
Reviving an old thread for fellow members.

Was just cleaning salt and grime off my truck on that nice 70 degree day we had yesterday and saw leaves in between the foam piece around the door and the wheel liners up front. Reminded me of this thread and the fact I need to drop my liners and clean that stuff out.

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have not had any leaves or mud in there since I cleaned it out when I posted this-I have checked. I hosed that area in there down pretty well with fluid film a little while ago too.

They salted here last weekend, so before my hose froze I rinsed off the truck until I couldn't see or taste salt on it anymore. I also adjusted my commute to a city street route with few bridges so I wouldn't have to drive through salt until it rained 2 days ago. Driving on a salted road gives me anxiety

·
3,201 Posts
Driving on a salted road gives me anxiety
I hear ya, but it just comes with the territory around here in the winter. Even if there is a slight chance of ice or snow, they salt the roads HEAVILY. In fact, they're out there salting the roads right now for a weekend storm we're supposed to get. I joined one of those car wash membership places near my work. It's a new facility, really good staff and state of the art car was equipment lol. I go at least 3 times a week, co-workers say I'm gonna wash the paint off.

But yea, looking forward to accessing these wheel liners and assessing the leaf situation. Good call on posting this.

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I hear ya, but it just comes with the territory around here in the winter. Even if there is a slight chance of ice or snow, they salt the roads HEAVILY. In fact, they're out there salting the roads right now for a weekend storm we're supposed to get. I joined one of those car wash membership places near my work. It's a new facility, really good staff and state of the art car was equipment lol. I go at least 3 times a week, co-workers say I'm gonna wash the paint off.

But yea, looking forward to accessing these wheel liners and assessing the leaf situation. Good call on posting this.
That's why I already don't like living as far North as I do. :LOL:

Just don't use a car wash with brushes or those cloth wipe strips:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
That's why I already don't like living as far North as I do. :LOL:

Just don't use a car wash with brushes or those cloth wipe strips:smiley_thumbs_up:
Your altitude is fine. You just need to move west :smiley_thumbs_up: More mild winter, dry summer.

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Registered
325 Posts
I joined one of those car wash membership places near my work. It's a new facility, really good staff and state of the art car was equipment lol. I go at least 3 times a week, co-workers say I'm gonna wash the paint off.
Do they recirculate the water or continually use fresh. I seem to remember car washes used to do this and just pumped salty water on your car while washing it.

·
Super Moderator
34,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Do they recirculate the water or continually use fresh. I seem to remember car washes used to do this and just pumped salty water on your car while washing it.

:wow::Wow1::SHOCKED:

·
3,201 Posts

This place does recycle water, but honestly, I think that is pretty normal these days with newer car wash joints. It's definitely not your typical car wash, well renowned in my area. You see a lotta high end cars going thru, they have a cafe, wifi, loaner smart cars if you're in there for a full detail, it's crazy. While I can't reach out and touch the brushes in their tunnel, they are definitely not the bristle or heavy cloth kind. They look like foam sponges almost, hard to explain. Took my truck there a few times when I first got it and became a member last month. I much prefer washing my truck myself, but it's not always an option in the winter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for sharing your findings Thunderhorse, I'll put checking those areas on my maintenance list.

When my truck was brand new I took it strait in to get rust proofed (not the black stuff but the clear greasy stuff) they spray it inside all the panals, doors, bed, engine bay, everywhere.. it's kinda messy but looks like it'll hold up well. They salt the roads here heavily too but my ram stays garaged until spring. My poor chevys are rotting out..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Part of my regular maintenance. Thanks for the reminder. Drivers side way worse. I spray Rust Check in the area where I clean the debris.
I get my truck rust checked annually.

Reactions: Omac

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for headsup. I cleaned those out last week when I was doing manifold swap. Doint 2.5" lift today. I am gonna see if some spray foam might work to fill that little void. As long as it will not be seen.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts