DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PCM SWAP

I just got in my B&G tuned PCM and I am loving how easy the swap is! For us 2011 guys we don't have any tuning options. What B&G does is you send them a 2010 PCM and your VIN number and current mods and they will flash this computer to your truck. They adjust the PCM to get you close to tunes. Obviously this isn't something that you can change with a push of a button but I will tell you the differences are extremely evident!!! You still can't use a handheld tuner to tune, but you can use it to datalog if you wanted. Here is the steps...

Tools needed:
phillips screwdriver
flathead screwdriver
socket set

Step 1:
As always disconnect the battery. Distribution block uses an allen wrench but most of you will need a socket wrench for this. If I remember right it is 8mm?

Step 2:
Remove your intake. Remember to disconnect the sensor

Step 3:
Remove the PCM. The wires are color coded so no worries about messing up. It has 3 screws that you can use a socket on or a phillips head screwdriver.

Step 4:
Install the new PCM and put everything back on

I have only driven this around for a couple days now so it's still new. So far I had a couple hiccups the first night and had to disconnect my battery one time but other than that I am in love with my truck all over again. With my mods my stock PCM'd truck would dip and surge at 3500. That is gone! The rev limiter is gone, the fan comes on at 180 now, speed limiter is raised, shifts smooth but not hard, and it's noticably faster. The computer is stil learning so it will surely get better. Stay tuned to this thread because I will be updating it for you guys considering doing this as well...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
What happens if someone with a 2011/2012 does this,
then needs to take their truck in for service/warranty work and the dealer needs to plug their starscan into the OBDII?

Dont you need to keep a spare stock PCM on hand for that?
...is it possible to have two PCM's or can you only have one PCM locked to your VIN number at a time?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for info! I'm really considering this as well, ever since I got my longtubes, my truck surges at low RPMs and makes strange exhaust noise right before downshifting. So you have to buy the PCM from a dodge dealer? Or does B&G supply the PCM? How much is the final cost when it's all done? And will you ever be able to use a handheld tuner on it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ya more info please, Im about to throw headers on and a 28-3000 stall in my ram. Already have Corsa 3" exhaust, Volant, and Fastman Throttle body.

Maybe a link to the website where you got the PCM? What was the turn around time..
Did the dealership have to flash the new PCM to work with your VIN?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I should have included more info on the PCM itself. When I went searching for a PCM I found 3 different ones that all said they would fit a 2010. I called a reman computer vendor and they said they needed a VIN to match me with my specific one. Since I didn't have a VIN that would match a 2010 I bought the most expensive one and it worked. lol. The part number is 05150500AA. Since you don't need a remanufactured and flashed PCM I bought one used on ebay. You could check ebay or a local junk yard. I ended up buying mine for 185 where as the online PCM dealers I found wanted 375+ and in many instances a core charge. I sent it into B&G with my VIN and mods. They will look up by VIN and flash your keys to it(the two original keys anyway, I'm not sure on extras). It was same day turnaround on their end and the total cost was 350 for the flash. The guy there is busy and kinda quick on the phone but helpful at the same time if that makes any sense. I have absolutely NO complaints about him or his work to this point. I didn't have to involve my dealer at all. My truck seemed to be two different motors. One from idle to 3500rpm, and another past that. It sounds like we shared the same issues. That is gone. Nice, smooth rpm curve. Without the clutch fan it revs quickly and seems to be more effortless. Overall I am very happy about my mods and if I continue to be happy then I will be doing some more intense motor work. I just wanted to check this out first. Anything I left out just ask, I'll do my best to answer...

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
It does run differently....the switch around 31-3500 is the active manifold. The tuning on the B&G is a much smoother transition. Those big free flowing exhausts don't like the low RPM end of the manifold without tuning.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It does run differently....the switch around 31-3500 is the active manifold. The tuning on the B&G is a much smoother transition. Those big free flowing exhausts don't like the low RPM end of the manifold without tuning.
That explains why my truck feels like a dog in low RPMs..I assumed that was torque management..cause at around 3,500 RPMs it pulls really hard.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's exactly why I got it on eBay. Most of the PCM companies didn't have one and the ones that did wanted a core charge. I'll look up the guy I purchased mine thru when I get home and let you know. He had a bunch of computers and airbags so he must have some sort of salvage company. I figured no reason to buy a remanufactured one when I have to get it flashed again anyway

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Ouch for over 600 think ill wait a bit rather have a tuner instead of oh shit my truck broke down got to swap pcm's lol but more power to you i guess for that much i want to be able to tune stuff myself

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I want to be able to tune it too but at what point will that happen? Companies like Arrington are doing PCM swaps. To me, if they thought the tuners were coming any time soon they would be holding off on that rather than backing this. If you have the means who wants to wait for something they want. I've been waiting for a while and after doing some research on B&G I felt safe about the swap

1 - 20 of 48 Posts