DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been going nuts all over the place, so Mopar doesn't seem to make one, lol
Do we have aftermarket skid options for the gas tank ?
Can't believe i have a 4x4 badge, and i can't find a damn skid to protect the gas tank.

Nor i can't find an aftermarket option to mount a winch in the factory bumper, sure it sucks for offroading having that big plastic thing as a bumpter in there, but my god, you might think the aftermarket for the RAM 1500's is bigger when it comes to offroading.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The Power Wagon skid for the gas tank fits, you have to bend one of the brackets though. There is at least one write up on it somewhere on this site.

TBF I've bottomed out my truck before and the gas tank is tucked out of the way pretty well by the frame rail so IDK how necessary it is.

The winch tray should have room back there, but you may need to custom fab one

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Power Wagon skid for the gas tank fits, you have to bend one of the brackets though. There is at least one write up on it somewhere on this site.

TBF I've bottomed out my truck before and the gas tank is tucked out of the way pretty well by the frame rail so IDK how necessary it is.

The winch tray should have room back there, but you may need to custom fab one
Ty Thunder, I’ll check that skid out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bought the gas tank skid for the power wagon and tried to fit it in in my RAM 1500 crew cab express, it won't fit, there are no holes for the bracket that is supposed to be somehow attached to the side of the frame at the back of the gas tank, the other bracket fits in the stud underneath the bed, and it's the only one that works, god damn it, there are no holes either at both sides of the frame, for the cross member that attaches to it, which is same part# cross member that we use to mount the transfer case skid, the rear upper control arm will more likely rub against the skid bracket that goes on the back side. Is not even a matter of just bending that bracket, there are no holes to even fit the damn thing.

I have the gas tank in my garage, but if i wanted to fit this thing in, i'll have to pay somebody to fabricate a way to mount it in my truck, in the meantime, i have $400 worth of thin steel sitting in there doing nothing :(

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
That's too bad it didn't work out, a gas tank skid would be nice. I dented the gas tank in my 15' Express pretty good getting high-centered on a small grass hill with a load of firewood in the back. FWIW, the tanks are pretty tough cause I hit it pretty hard. I figured I just lost a few gallons of capacity.

My 15' Express didn't have any skid plates, but my 17' Big Horn does. There really isn't much coverage/protection IMO.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's too bad it didn't work out, a gas tank skid would be nice. I dented the gas tank in my 15' Express pretty good getting high-centered on a small grass hill with a load of firewood in the back. FWIW, the tanks are pretty tough cause I hit it pretty hard. I figured I just lost a few gallons of capacity.

My 15' Express didn't have any skid plates, but my 17' Big Horn does. There really isn't much coverage/protection IMO.
Coud you do me a big one and take a picture that shows the brackets in the back of the gas tank and see how they're mounted in your 17 truck ?
Also a picture with the front of the skid to see how the skids attaches to the cross member ?

Thanks a lot.

·
3,247 Posts
Coud you do me a big one and take a picture that shows the brackets in the back of the gas tank and see how they're mounted in your 17 truck ?
Also a picture with the front of the skid to see how the skids attaches to the cross member ?

Thanks a lot.
I sure will. I've been waiting a few days for the site to renew my site supporter membership, until then I can't upload any pics. As soon as they renew me I'll post them here.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sure will. I've been waiting a few days for the site to renew my site supporter membership, until then I can't upload any pics. As soon as they renew me I'll post them here.
Ty sir.

·
3,247 Posts
Sorry this has taken me so long to reply. Finally got my account here back in order so I could upload more pics. Feel free to PM me your email address if you'd like higher res pics or any other angles. I'll be following this thread to see if anyone rigs up a gas tank skid plate for their 1500. I'd really like to protect that, as you can see I've utilized my skid plates a few times.

Front diff skid plate:

Transfer case skid plate:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts