DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How many problems have you had with the Hemi powertrain?

Votes: 43 86.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • 3+

Votes: 2 4.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on this forum for over 4 months and I haven't seen any complaints for the powertrain besides the torque converter (which was fixed in 2012).

Do you think the 5.7l hemi with the 5/6 speed transmission is bulletproof?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I think everyone that has gone forced induction has needed a new transmission or they replaced it with the blower upgrade b/c they knew they'd need it eventually.

At reasonable power levels I think they are pretty good.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thiggins, what are the symptoms of needing a new rear dif?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
christ dezert whats the back story??

I have had trans problem that are plaging me to this day. If i hammer it on the freeway on the downshift my trans goes crazy and i lose all gears and am stuck in 4th i believe. Turn the key off and it resets itself. Dealer sees the codes but "cant replicate the problem" so im shafted still

·
Banned
265 Posts
christ dezert whats the back story??

I have had trans problem that are plaging me to this day. If i hammer it on the freeway on the downshift my trans goes crazy and i lose all gears and am stuck in 4th i believe. Turn the key off and it resets itself. Dealer sees the codes but "cant replicate the problem" so im shafted still
It's a recall on the new Rams if I'm not mistaken. I got that picture off of this forum a few months ago.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
70k and no issues here...but I don't have a Hemi.

From the block back though, my powertrain is the same. Same tranny, same 3.92/LSD.

I am so glad I jumped on the mopar bandwagon after the 09 redesign. These trucks are freakin amazing.

I cant help but feel, even after 70k miles, like the other shoe is about to drop though. Especially with all the problems my dad had with his 2nd gen and I had with my 3rd gen in the short year that I had it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's often tough to put the term "bulletproof" and an automatic tranny in the same sentence, and even more so when you tow decent loads with the truck. A lot of the "bulletproof" can come from operator knowledge in taking care of the tranny and how you drive it when towing. Most people hook up a big boat, utility trailer, or travel trailer and just drive the truck like they drive their family car. When you're talking about 1/2 ton pickups, you have to make sure the tranny has a good cooler setup and that you drive the truck in the right gear selection for conditions. With Tow/Haul mode, this helps our later Rams quite a bit, and our trucks come with what appears to be a decent factory trans cooler. The current...well, up to '12...tranny seems to have developed to a point where many of these issues are addressed. I'll be interested to see how this new 8-speed develops as a real truck tranny for 1/2 ton pickups. On paper from everything I've read, this appears to be more of a car tranny and maybe not as robust, but only time will tell. An auto tranny with more gear ratios can provide better mileage and performance, but it often brings smaller components into the design, and the more shifting a tranny does, the more heat that can be generated. Yes, big semis have tons of gears, but a good many of them are manual trannies. There's nothing better than a great auto tranny with plenty of gear ratios, when it works well and is reliable, and I hope this new one works out to be a success.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
24K Kilometres and no issues, seems pretty bullet proof to me. I have heard of rear end flange nut problems on the 10's and 11's. So far mines been rock solid however I have replaced my diff fluid to Amsoil synthetic gear oil.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
My first issue is when a factory installed exhaust manifold cracked, replaced under warranty
The 2nd thing was not fixed, although they tried to fix it
I took it in for a grinding noise that happens every time i shift from Park to Reverse, it doesn't matter if it is on a hill going uphill or down hill, or even on flat ground
the noise sounds like someone with a standard shift w/ a improperly adjusted clutch, forcing it into gear.
Dealership & engineers said replace the drive shaft, they did, didn't make a difference
They told me to drive it, it only happens while making the Park to Reverse shift

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Could it be your parking pawl not disengaging all the way/correctly GTyankee? Sounds it to me.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I nnow want to expand the question to 3rd gen rams powetrain too. Any major problems? How many miles do you have on it?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thiggins, what are the symptoms of needing a new rear dif?
Obvious whine from the rear end. It was especially obnoxious when towing at 60mph...gave us a headache. They replaced all the gears and bearings in the rear end, basically rebuilt it, under warranty. Happy since.
I also put on a MagTech diff cover to make maintenance much easier and have additional oil capacity, and cooling. Great cover.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
No issues with my ram (roughly 60,000 miles). Haven't owned it since new though but I believe it's all original. I have a slightly annoying shift that feels like it's slipping I think it's from 3rd to 4th, but no issues, just feels strange.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts