DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a ram with the 5.9l, it has a 7inch suspension lift and 38" tires. Here in Michigan it's snowing so I've been using my 4wd drive a little bit while driving on the road. Whenever I either turn or go uphill the front end clunks and it sounds like its coming from the front diff. area. When driving straight in 4wd drive it is just fine. It seems to engage fine and works, besides this clunking noise. I had to take off the CAD a few months ago to clean it because it was gummed up causing the fork to now slide, and I put more ale fluid in, but would a lack of fluid cause this noise? Also there is a tube that attached to the tip of the CAD that goes up into the wheel well on the passenger side then is cut off, would this maybe be the problem? I have checked the u-joint on the front shaft and seem to be fine.
The thicker tube on the top in this pic is the one that's cut off

Here is where it is cut off.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Did you add stabliser to the diff, the tube might be a vent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked the fluid level and the diff. and it's right where it should be, anyone know what that line is coming out of the CAD or why the front end would be clunking in 4wd?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lots of lift on that machine, if it isn't the axle joints being worn out, I'd be bending and twisting the rear joint on the front driveshaft, or even the front joint, looking for wear. With that much lift, you may even be torqueing up the front axle enough to be exceeding the flexibility of the front driveshaft joints, it may pay to look for shiny metal on the yokes. If you have a large offset on your front wheels, it might not hurt to see if your wheel bearings are munched.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info! I'll have to check the yokes, it seems to not be doing it much anymore, I kind of chalked it up to the cold weather. I'll still be doing a good inspection of the front driveshaft and front end this weekend and see if I find anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I'll add that to my check list when going through the front end, I know I need ball joints, but I don't think that would make it clunk only when in 4wd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts