DODGE RAM FORUM banner

So can someone help out with what is happening when the neutral switch fails to disengage the axles?

• answered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • unanswered

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014, RAM 2500, 6.7l diesel, 4WD, Laredo

When I push the "neutral" switch while the truck is running the light does not come on. The truck doesn't disengage the axles. I've tried the switch while in drive, reverse, neutral and park.

The neutral light is RED when the truck is starting. The RED light goes out after it starts.

Nothing happens when pressing the neutral switch while the truck is running. No light, no "neutral".

Like I said there is a momentary RED light indicator at startup.

Last month the transfer case was replaced at the Dodge dealer. The mechanic said he test drove the truck and the 4WD operated proplerly. He evidently didn't test the neutral switch, because it didn't work before the transfer case was replaced. I assumed he'd fixed that while replacing the transfer case. Before trying the 4WD I tested the neutral switch which still failed to light or disengage the axles. I've yet to test the 4WD before seeing about the neutral switch.

So can someone help me out with what is happening when the neutral switch fails to disengage the axles?

Thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You have to test the 4wd before asking any further questions. This will help in diagnosis.

P.S. This is the reason I prefer everything manual, unfortunately FCA dropped the manuals out of their HD trucks...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the 4wd operates properly. Does anyone know what module, if any, controls disengaging the axles?

I'm guessing the process is electro mechanical.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.