DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 96 dodge ram 1500 4wd wont engage i have vacuum to my tranfer case but none coming out. I have replace the switch on top of the transfer case and still no vacuum

·
Registered
367 Posts
You have vacuum to transfer case, mkay, but do you have vacuum to the CAD? Have you pulled the cover off the CAD to see if it's in decent condition? Does the 4wd light come on?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Transfer cases come apart easy once the big nut is out of the way. Something squrrilly going on in there. Good time to replace the seals too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
There should be a Central Axle Disconnect on the passenger side of your front axle.

Looks like this:
http://www.4x4wire.com/dodge/tech/solid_axle_cad/cad_mechanism.jpg

Should be two vacuum lines that go to this. This is what "Locks the Hubs" as the lingo goes on other trucks. If this is not engaged, it's like having a broke axle. The vacuum piston is also attached to a switch which is what turns the dash 4x4 indicator light on.

Unless of course you've swapped out axles for something that didn't come off of a dodge.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Check vac from the switch on the t case up to the cad. The metal lines that run along the frame have been known to rust up inside and block vac.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got a 96 dodge ram 1500 4wd wont engage i have vacuum to my tranfer case but none coming out. I have replace the switch on top of the transfer case and still no vacuum
I found no vacuum at the transfer case switch, so I replaced the switch. Vacuum was good in both hoses, until the last junction before the CAD. Vacuum in only one line. The other line was solid rust.

Had to order the whole assembly from CAD to transfer case. Waiting on the parts now. Mine is a 1994 with the 5.9 L, and has 183,000 rough miles on it.

The suggestion to check out the CAD was a good one. Lots can happen in 20+ years.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to install the Spicer kit that replaces the whole vacuum setup. I might do it to mine just for piece of mind,,,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Front axle won't engage

I found no vacuum at the transfer case switch, so I replaced the switch. Vacuum was good in both hoses, until the last junction before the CAD. Vacuum in only one line. The other line was solid rust.

Had to order the whole assembly from CAD to transfer case. Waiting on the parts now. Mine is a 1994 with the 5.9 L, and has 183,000 rough miles on it.

The suggestion to check out the CAD was a good one. Lots can happen in 20+ years.
As stated in a past reply, I replaced the switch at the transfer case, found one vacuum line solid with rust. Ordered a new hose from local Ram dealer, from CAD to transfer case switch manifold. 15 minute job. except for the one screw that was already rounded, and took some work to remove. If it still didn't work, I was going to take a look inside the CAD. Luckily, that wasn't necessary.

This is the place to be if you need help with a 2nd Gen Ram. The guys here really know their stuff. With vehicles as old as 2nd Gens, patience is the clue, and logic. Now if I can figure out what is wrong my dash harness, I would be even happier. At least I can plow snow, now.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Check that connector in the drivers side fender well behind the inner fender bottom lip. It's just ahead of the front cab mount. Not an ideal location for anything electrical,,,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts