DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving down the road the dashboard display shown "4wd Shift In progress" for a brief second then disappeared. It was done it a couple times on different occasions, but us ally while going over rough road. Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auto is not an option, to engage its a manual shift on the floor. 2wd, 4wd, N, 4low

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Auto is not an option, to engage its a manual shift on the floor. 2wd, 4wd, N, 4low
I`m going to take a wild guess that you have a 2500...?
Likely could be a bad 4x4 sensor. Better have it checked out regardless.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
2500 Crew Cab Tradesman, manual 4x4 on the floor. Does anyone know how the transfer case works. After shifting you hear a buzing noise for a second then the 4wd light stops flashing. Is it a lever with a electric actuator that actually shifts it?

·
Registered
356 Posts
The BW 44-46 is electronically operated with a shift motor on the transfer case. The 44-47 is manually operated with a linkage. The Tradesman is supposed to be manually operated. You can crawl underneath and verify there is a linkage but you already know it is there if you have a lever and not a knob. The only electrical thing is a connector on the transfer case for the position indicator sensor. I don't know what the buzzing would be unless it is something built into the truck's electronics to make that noise while it is updating the light to match the shifter position.

With the manual shift, at least you have the peace of mind that it isn't actually trying to shift while you are going down the road. It is possible the position sensor is bad or the connector is loose or something like that.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the buzzing, its the front axke engaging the hubs when shifted to 4wd. Anyone else's do this? Actuator is on the passenger side of the axle.

When looking found a tranny leak too, yeeaaa! Well I can take care of two problems at once.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While driving down the road the dashboard display shown "4wd Shift In progress" for a brief second then disappeared. It was done it a couple times on different occasions, but us ally while going over rough road. Has anyone experienced this?
I have a 2015 Ram 2500 Tradesman that just did the ‘4wd shift in progress’ issue but then the traction control light went on and a grinding noise started. My shifter was in 2wd. I pulled over and after the transmission shifted down and I stopped the noise quit. I turned around and went back to town and the noise did not start again but the 4wd shift notification kept flashing. Does anyone know what the grinding noise would have been? The truck has only 47k miles on it and it is not used very often except to pull livestock trailers and boats on occasion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is Labor Day weekend and nobody is open to look at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2015 Ram 2500 Tradesman that just did the ‘4wd shift in progress’ issue but then the traction control light went on and a grinding noise started. My shifter was in 2wd. I pulled over and after the transmission shifted down and I stopped the noise quit. I turned around and went back to town and the noise did not start again but the 4wd shift notification kept flashing. Does anyone know what the grinding noise would have been? The truck has only 47k miles on it and it is not used very often except to pull livestock trailers and boats on occasion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is Labor Day weekend and nobody is open to look at it.
Did you figure out what this was? I just posted a thread on this and then found yours.
"traction control light went on and a grinding noise started. My shifter was in 2wd."

Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 3500 Mega cab with a 6.4 Hemi manual shift transfer case. It has done the same thing several times, but with no other issues other than the “4wd shift in progress” indication. Dealer was no help because it wounding it for them. Seems to do it when I have recently used 4wd. No shift seems to be taking place in my case, so IMHO I think it is a case of a sensitive sensor, hooked up to a old style manual shifter that me have a little more slop in the positioning than the sensor can handle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was able to resolve my issue with part number 68211454AA - 4WD Switch with Magnetic Assist. This is simply a switch that sits on top of the transfer case and sends a signal to the computer that the transfer case is in 4WD.
This is for the manual shift transfer case. Mine is a BW 44-47.

Symptoms:
  • At first it was just intermittent "4WD Shift in Progress" - Dealer could not resolve issue
  • Then a few months later the ESC light illuminated an the 4WD light flashed - Dealer flashed the computer but did not resolve issue.
  • Then a month later, with dash lit up, the front axle actuator engaged while I was rolling off a stop sign. I had to crawl under the truck and unplug the front actuator so I could get home.
  • After I made it home - the dash light started flashing "4WD" and "Lo". The ESC light was on as well. The back brakes then engaged in traction control and the inside wheel hopped when I turned, as the computer thought the outside wheel was slipping.
I did not go back to the dealer, I did my research and determined this is the only thing it could be short of a bad computer.

Test: Unplug the connector on the switch. Start Truck. The Shift in Progress message and any 4WD light will go away. You will see "Serv 4WD" since you unplugged the connector.

Note: When the computer thinks the T-case is in 4WD, the ESC light will illuminate on the dash.

Bottom line - fix this before if breaks completely. It can leave you stranded. Unfortunately, the Ram engineers didn't think to have the truck return to a steady state of 2WD when this fails. Rather they had it send a signal that 4WD is engaged even though it isn't. It is engineered backward in my opinion.

In the picture below, the switch on the bottom is the old one that failed. The plunger will not stay protruded so the signal is sent that the T-case is in 4WD.

TIP - don't forget the O-ring when you put the new one in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 14 RAM 2500. Mine is a manual shift in the floor as well. Mine won't show any light in the dash or anything when I try to shift it in 4 wheel drive. I check the wires going in to the Actuator. I have one hot all the time. And I know one is a ground. But when I had my son work it in and out of 4 wheel drive, I get no signal nor power in the other 2 wires. Anyone got any suggestions. Also, I noticed there is no relay in the fuse box for our 4 wheel drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts