DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for lil help about my 4x2 and driving on groomed packed roads?? I'm taking a trip over the mountain and they are requiring to have chains. I have traction device tires and some weight in the bed, plus I just bought chains? My question is, do you think I'll be ok if I'm on hill and stopped? My other option is borrowing friends car that is AWD but they do not have chains, so I would have to buy set for $90. I'm in a delimma, any suggestions?? Thank you!

·
Registered
119 Posts
The cummins 4x2 will fair better than a gas truck of the same setup. The lower rpm will allow you to grip the road with chains rather than spinning your tires. Weight and chains and you should be ok.
That being said, if it is something your not comfortable doing, and you have a car to borrow, I would go that way. If this is a trip that you make often, I'd look at getting a 4x4 to avoid this situation again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice! Thank you! I only take this route maybe 1-2 times every yr to two yrs, but would like 4x4 someday! I do love my truck, even if it is only 4x2! Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You should be fine but I would ask a couple of questions:

1. Do you have a limited slip rear end or is your 4x2 really a 4x1?
2. By "traction device tires" I assume you mean studded tyres?

if you have. 4x1 or you don't have winter tires I would consider the AWD car. It doesn't mean you won't make it just it could be problem. I remember pulling out lots of folks in the Poconos when I was growing up who didn't think 4wd or chains were needed.

One nice thing with 4wd is that in most cases you are exempt form using chains as long as you have them with you and the 4wd is engaged. So you still need to carry them but they only need to be installed if needed.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Just a thought...why are there three different gears on an automatic selector?

As long as you're just moving along and not trying to break any land speed records, I'd operate it in first or second gear to limit tire spin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts