DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first time ram owner, first time 4x4 owner. i live in a heavily snowy area in canada and constantly have my ram in 4x4 lock. heres my problem, when i am going really slow, ie parking, maintaining about 5-10 km/hr it feels like its dragging, almost like its in a wrong gear.. it almost comes to a complete stop insted of coasting at all when it should. if i pick up speed it stops.

any suggestions, or is this normal??

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for responding... but what if it is happening on a snow free asphalt parking lot, for example going through a drive through.

thanks!

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Same theory. If you're on pavement that isn't snow or ice covered, you shouldn't be in 4 lock. The driveline binding could damage the 4WD sytem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
remember in lock, all 4 wheels are turning together and hve no ability to freewheel or turn furtner than the other.

so imagine if your turning hard left.... the inside rear left wheel has a lot less distance to travel than the rear right wheel, yet they still have to move at exactly the same speed and distance as they are locked together, so all 4 wheels are trying to go different distances at the same speed at the same time, hence why they need something loose underneath to slip a little,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts