DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 1500 4x4 50k on the clock..Decided to run my 4 wheel drive as I pulled in my driveway as have not used it in awhile and and then hardly at all ! Forward and back perfect BUT when turning left or right feels like it is dragging ? BUT 2 wheel drive no issues! Any ideas ? THANKS

·
Registered
432 Posts
2015 1500 4x4 50k on the clock..Decided to run my 4 wheel drive as I pulled in my driveway as have not used it in awhile and and then hardly at all ! Forward and back perfect BUT when turning left or right feels like it is dragging ? BUT 2 wheel drive no issues! Any ideas ? THANKS
Sounds like normal behavior for 4WD on a hard surface.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
Yes, completely normal operation for a 4wd. They will bind up and scream at you when turning on dry surfaces, which is not a good idea btw. I also engage mine at times just to make sure everything is working, but I drive in a straight line. The 4low with the 3.92's I have to stand on the brake pedal when engaging that!

I see you have an SLT, do you have the 4auto feature? Just curious.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TB, Thanks for your reply! My driveway is hard packed dirt/gravel.. Just get bugged hearing a strange noise :) My SLT Panel is 2WD/4Wheel Lock and 4 Wheel Low ! SO no Auto 4wd.. I assume 4 wheel auto would engage only when wheels slip ?

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
TB, Thanks for your reply! My driveway is hard packed dirt/gravel.. Just get bugged hearing a strange noise :) My SLT Panel is 2WD/4Wheel Lock and 4 Wheel Low ! SO no Auto 4wd.. I assume 4 wheel auto would engage only when wheels slip ?
Yes sir, that is correct. And the reason I asked is, there is some confirmation that even with the 4lock engaged in the trucks with the 4auto transfer case (BW 44-44), it will not bind up like you experienced. Basically assuming the truck will not truly engage the 4wd until there is slippage. A lot of people are upset about this, not to bring up that all again though lol. I haven't tested it myself and I have the BW 44-44 in my 2017 SLT/Big Horn. But my 2015 Express had the same transfer case as yours (BW 44-45) and most people who off road prefer that transfer case.

Anyway, not to derail your thread. I was just curious based off of what you experienced which transfer case you have. Thanks for confirming! :smileup:

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes sir, that is correct. And the reason I asked is, there is some confirmation that even with the 4lock engaged in the trucks with the 4auto transfer case (BW 44-44), it will not bind up like you experienced. Basically assuming the truck will not truly engage the 4wd until there is slippage. A lot of people are upset about this, not to bring up that all again though lol. I haven't tested it myself and I have the BW 44-44 in my 2017 SLT/Big Horn. But my 2015 Express had the same transfer case as yours (BW 44-45) and most people who off road prefer that transfer case.

Anyway, not to derail your thread. I was just curious based off of what you experienced which transfer case you have. Thanks for confirming! :smileup:
Not a problem going off thread lol,The more I learn the better it is for me!:smiley_thumbs_up: :) I been driving for about 50 years and this is my first 4x4, So you can teach a old fart something lol

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yes, the "dragging" you feel is your driveline binding. I wouldn't be doing that very often on a high traction surface

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the "dragging" you feel is your driveline binding. I wouldn't be doing that very often on a high traction surface
Thanks for your reply ! I only went up and down my driveway twice,it is hard packed gravel/dirt.. just to move the oil and lube gears..

BUT I WILL NOT use 4x4on Dry Hot top :)

Everything you guys have said makes a ton of sense and I did know about long runs on hot top but now I know the reason's why not to :)
Thank you all for the education . You can teach a old fart something lol :smiley_thumbs_up:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts