DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at 2 trucks right now, both 2016 Ram 1500 5.7L and pricing is within $500. One is a CPO true blue lonestar crewcab 5.7" bed with 21k miles 2WD w/ LSD 3.21 gears and the other is a red big horn quad cab 6.2" bed with 36k miles 4x4 w/o LSD 3.21 gears. I was wondering which is the better option? I don't do serious off roading or live in an extremely snowy environment, we do take trips to a cabin in the mountains but it is off a paved road and not very rugged terrain. 4x4 doesn't REALLY seem like a need for me but it's sort of one of those "I want it for if I ever needed it" type of things, but would 2wd with the LSD be good enough for what I do with some good tires?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would want the 4x4. Besides the functionality, I like the stance of the 4x4 better.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
To me the more important feature in your situation is the cab size/bed size.
There is significantly more interior room with the crew cab vs. quad cab.

4X4 holds resale value better, esp. in the north, costs you mpg, is there if you ever need it, and sits a bit higher.

2WD is a bit limiting, but tires or rubber chains can cover that in a lot of situations. Better mpg, less maint costs, bit more power, lighter truck, lower mileage, HAS a warranty.

I would sit in the front seat and put it the position you normally sit, then crawl into the back seat and see if there is enough room for you - IF rear seat room is important to you. Maybe bed space is more important.
Then after that consider 2WD vs. 4WD as it sounds like either would work in your usage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In my opinion, the LSD option does not really come close enough to compare a 2x4 to the 4x4 equipped vehicle; at least not for the Michigan winters.
I had a QC and it is only good for seating children in the back...CC offers a lot more seating and storage space. Better resale as well...

I'd expand the search and look for a 4x4 CC that fits your budget...

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
I agree with Paco, think carefully about how you will use those two trucks from two perspectives:

1. Cab size difference between quad/Crew.
2. 4x4 vs. 4x2, is 44 really needed in Texas for most instances? If you're driving thru pastures on ranches, are in to hunting out of your truck, etc, then 4x4 would be beneficial.

4x4 is certainly useful, but will you really be using it? My brother in law lives in Tx and has a 2wd pickup with a LSD. He even drives it out on the beach occasionally. But the sand looks hard and packed down where he goes.

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
My dad has an open diff 2wd Ram and has been stuck exactly 0 times. Some people just don't need it.

The limited slip is like a $325 option and is easy to add; 4wd costs a few grand and you either get it from the factory or you don't get it. Of course 4x4 gets you better resale-it costs more to buy!

A good set of tires can get a 2wd though many places that a 4x4 will and depending on the 4x4's tires, some places the 4x4 can't. Its one thing if you off road to off road, but that's not a smart thing to do in your DD. If you take good lines a 2wd is often all you need. My great uncle used to say that the difference between a 4x4 and a 2wd is that the 4x4 gets you stuck farther out in the field (his first 4x4 was his last-he had tractors for super thick stuff).

If you drive on caliche you do not need 4x4

2wd vs 4x4 suspensions do not sit any different, but the 2wd is much easier to work on the front end. 4x4s do not sit any higher; 1/2 ton trucks aren't that way anymore.

I prefer the quad cab to the crew because I think it looks better and I appreciate the extra bed space. Its also lighter and gets me higher payload and tow ratings. Depending on your use you may or may not want more cab vs more bed. They do make crew cabs with the 6.4' bed.

Bottom line is you're in Texas and will be fine with either driveline. Pick the one with the cab you like more. If you want a 4x4 but don't need one, that's ok too. This is America so wanting something is all the reason you need to buy it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
1. I think you'd get a better ride with the 4x2, less unsprung weight. 2. I just went from a quad cab to a crew since the grandkids in the child seats were kicking me in the back. 3. If you are towing a camper or big trailer it is nice to put it into 4wd low range for backing up. 4. People drove for years before 4x4 even in snow country, I towed snowmobiles all over and I just had to be a little careful.

Living where you live, go for the room you need and the ride you like

1 - 9 of 9 Posts