DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello so I recently purchased a 01 ram 1500 with 4" lift kit.only when in 4 wheel drive will the entire truck vibrate! I had the front u joint blow part on me the other day. That and the gear box has since been replaced and I can't figure out this horrible thing. Is it because of the angle? I'm so lost.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Well the 4x4 should be an indication that it's in the front half of the truck.

I'd start by checking the outer shafts on the front driveline.

When you say angle, has the truck been lifted? EDIT: That was a stupid question I noticed that it has a 4" lift.

You may get better information with some of the members that are a little more familiar with the lifts here

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mechanic said all is good on the front end. Yes it has a 4" lift. But mechanic said that the transfer case is cracked.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Is it the same mechanic that replaced the "gear box"? I'm assuming that that is the transfer case. If you still have access to the old one I'd get a look at it and make sure that it was replaced with a compatible unit, correct numbers etc...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Same mechanic. I was actually there when the gear box snapped. And I went to napa to get the replacement part. Looked like everything matched. I'm actually taking it to mother mechanic for a second opinion as the original mechanic does not have the right equipment for a transfer case job. I was hoping it was something and in expensive as I only use it to plow.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Then I'd check the front drive-shaft. Check it by spinning it to make sure it's not bent. Also check it for any clean or cleaner areas that may have held a balance weight. Check it for any dimples or dents that could have caused it to become unbalanced due to impact.

Check the coupler where it slides together and make sure that it is sliding to allow for front end travel. If it's extended all the way out then the next place for the least resistance is the TFC which could cause it to break.

Vibration could very easily be the shaft being bent of out of balance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I had the transfer case replaced and front drive shaft replaced. All fluids are good. Everything else should be good. Why am I still having this vibration issue?!

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I'm sorry but it's turning into one of those things that is an I have to be there.

I don't like to see anyone just throw money at a vehicle and hope it fixes it. I was hoping that you'd just check the front shaft before you replaced it.

I'm kinda wary about offering any further advise for that reason...but I'd try to get it on a lift and run it before I replaced anything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the front shaft did need to be replaced and the t case had a huge crack. I'm just stumped and don't know where else to look. If it's because of the lift then I'll get rid of the lift kit....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turns out I think it was the front wheel bearing. As it broke last week. Got it fixed seems to be pretty much gone now..... Haven't driven it since I got it out of the shop but the quick 3 min drive it felt better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts