DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have read that the 2012 police package hemis have 100,000 mile plugs Does anybody have any updates and would they work in 2011 5.7 engines? Thanks in advance Curly 28

·
Registered
367 Posts
new plug

Bosch has just come out with an Iridium plug for the 5.7 late model Hemis.... check their web site for part number, and discounts

·
Registered
109 Posts
How is there 16 plugs in 8 cylinders? That doesn't make sense to me. Is this only a dodge thing? I'm just wondering because my past GM trucks only had 8 plugs, 1 for each cylinder?

·
Registered
307 Posts
How is there 16 plugs in 8 cylinders? That doesn't make sense to me. Is this only a dodge thing? I'm just wondering because my past GM trucks only had 8 plugs, 1 for each cylinder?

This has been done quite a bit in the past with various brands, both domestic and foreign, and they all do it for different reasons. For example there was Ford who put 2 plugs per cylinder in the old 2.3 Liter 4 cylinders. Nissan also used something similar way back in the 80's....:att:

IMO I feel they, and Dodge do it mostly for emissions reasons, and the impact of both power and better emissions are minimal. However others can and will chime in with more expertise on the subject.. :fly:

One thing I do know, is on my 04' HEMI I waited till about the 40,000 mile mark to change my plugs, and they were very worn. My new HEMI calls for a different plug, however I believe they will last the same. And even if I could get ahold of an 100,000 mile plug, I still wouldn't feel comfortable keeping them in there that long...:box:

P.S- Yes it's a pain in the Ball$ to change them out, always walked away with a sore chest from laying on the front crossmember..LOL

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I wouldnt feel comfortable with 100K between plug swaps... hell i still am accepting that I can go 5K miles between oil changes... I dont care what anyone says Im doing it at 5K lol

Im used to doing oil at 3K and plugs every 6K in my camaro, I have no problem doing plugs every 30 in my Hemi... its more of a piece of mind thing... Im not "old school" either at 23, I jsut think its weird and I like knowing whats going on in my engine by more than jsut what the computer tells me...

"reading" spark plugs is a lost art form and can tell you a lot about both long term and short term (depends on time since change) conditions going on in each cylinder

Reactions: Rescue1

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Im used to doing oil at 3K and plugs every 6K in my camaro
Holy cow! My buddy just replaced the plugs in his LS1 camaro for the first time at like 160,000 miles lol. I'd say that's a bit overkill/waste of money.

I have 60,000 miles on my 4.7L plugs (stock upper bank are called to be replaced at 50k IIRC and are nickel IIRC, lower bank at 100,000 since they are iridium). I'll have no issue changing them at 100,000, and may put iridiums in the upper holes as well. After seeing how much better my bike runs with an iridium plug I think they are great.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Nitrous/Boost changed the ball game a lot lol. There have been nights I have done two full plug swaps in a 5 hour span lol.

·
Registered
352 Posts
As cool as 100k plugs sound, I can't say I'm thrilled to think of spending $17x16 plugs. I'll end up replacing with a better plug when my stock one wear out. Probably check them around 30k to see how they're holding up.

Someone mentioned iridiums not being good with our HEMI's. Any truth or reason behind this?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Someone mentioned iridiums not being good with our HEMI's. Any truth or reason behind this?
I don't see why it'd be an issue, but I haven't tried it as I don't have a hemi.

I know there isn't a straight across the board price for plugs, but the iridiums for my bike were only about $7 so I assumed they'd be roughly that for the truck....maybe I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
So r we expected to spend between $120-$290 just for 16 plugs for the good ones? That's so expensive lol. I'm used to spend $60-$80 on my past trucks lol. I've heard it's a real pain in the a$$ to change them? Is this true? It looks pretty simple since they look to be close to the top, oh and do they need to be at a special spacer length on each plug(gap wise)?

·
Registered
831 Posts
For what it's worth, I stretched the first spark plug change on my 5.7 to 45k - plugs looked brand new when I removed them. I replaced with the OEM NGK's that the truck was equipped with and will probably stretch them to 60k.

Wasn't that hard changing them - I actually thought the passenger side was tougher than the driver's side - had to move some coolant lines on pass side to get to everything. Took me about 2 hours or so taking my time and doing it right.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have heard in the past that some people who changed them for the IRD actually fried the coil packs as the IRD tend to run hotter

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^IRD as in iridium? I heard that about platinum because they have more resistance. I don't know why iridium would cause that since they have less resistance. All compared to a regular copper plug.

Maybe it was lost in translation and they were actually meaning platinums?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I ran iridiums on previous import sport compacts I had with no problems. I don't see why they would cause a problem with HEMI's but if no one can debunk this rumor than I'll steer clear of them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts