DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well sort of. Depends on spring package also. Certainly the 3.92 will aid in take off, but fuel mileage will suffer. And also probably the ECM, BCM will have to be recalibrated to acknowledge the new gear ratio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well sort of. Depends on spring package also. Certainly the 3.92 will aid in take off, but fuel mileage will suffer. And also probably the ECM, BCM will have to be recalibrated to acknowledge the new gear ratio.
The Ram dealer doing it so I think everything will be recalibrated. I also have the extra large oil and transmission cooler. I didn’t want to get rid of the truck because I have lifetime /unlimited warranty. I did ask about suspension but the 1500 doesn’t have any upgrades. But I tow with a weight distribution hitch and the other trailer I towed (6500 lb) was fine. I think the hitch will definitely help leveling it off.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,580 Posts
Rear wheel drive? If so I’d highly recommend swapping a Truetrac torsen carrier if you currently have an open differential.

The front ring gear is welded to the carrier on the 4x4s on the newer ZF axles, going to need both in that application. $$$

-Tim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I ask what the cost is?
I haven’t picked it up from the dealer yet so no final bill. Not cheap, gear kit is 750 and then 5 or 6 parts that will need to be change also (seals and bearings). Then 10-13 hours labor but I haven’t picked it up yet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I haven’t picked it up from the dealer yet so no final bill. Not cheap, gear kit is 750 and then 5 or 6 parts that will need to be change also (seals and bearings). Then 10-13 hours labor but I haven’t picked it up yet.
10 to 13 hours ? You must be paying for their lunch hour and aftrnoon nap and half a day off 😀

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I have been towing trailers with my 2004 1500 since new. That being said, after i paid off the truck i upgraded shocks, brakes and added 1500 pound helper springs from Summit Racing. I have 4 wheel drive and 3.90 rear gear.

I am pretty sure with my experience and knowledge of 70s thru 90s muscle cars that it should only take about 4 0r 5 hours to swap out rear gears. Or, maybe i was just spoiled by my awesome "Mikes Hot Rog Garage" mechanic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been towing trailers with my 2004 1500 since new. That being said, after i paid off the truck i upgraded shocks, brakes and added 1500 pound helper springs from Summit Racing. I have 4 wheel drive and 3.90 rear gear.

I am pretty sure with my experience and knowledge of 70s thru 90s muscle cars that it should only take about 4 0r 5 hours to swap out rear gears. Or, maybe i was just spoiled by my awesome "Mikes Hot Rog Garage" mechanic.
Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
10 to 13 hours ? You must be paying for their lunch hour and aftrnoon nap and half a day off 😀
It's called flat rate; I'm sure you guys heard of it. I was a mechanic for a few years before going in the Navy. It was hard but a good mechanic could get 100 hrs of flat rate work done in a 40 hour week.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's called flat rate; I'm sure you guys heard of it. I was a mechanic for a few years before going in the Navy. It was hard but a good mechanic could get 100 hrs of flat rate work done in a 40 hour week.
10 to 13 hours is called the " I don't want to do it price " lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a question about the gear change. I was also planning to change the 3.21.gears in my 1500 to a set of 3.92 gears with a posi traction carrier. I was going to do the work myself as I have built rear ends and transmissions for many years. I wanted the upgrade in towing capacity like you. I've added rear air bags in the springs, installed better front and rear socks and and added a tuner for the engine performance. Nothing really needs to done to the 8 speed. All the disk brake rotors have been upgraded to performance rotors and heavy duty brake pads. Then I was reminded that the capacity sticker in the door will not be changed and my trucks legal max tow weight would not legally be increased to the 10,000 lb. range. I know the gears will help with towing heavier loads, but did the dealer state that the tow capacity of your truck will be upgraded to 10,000 lbs and are they going to put that in writing? Just curious if a dealer can do that for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a question about the gear change. I was also planning to change the 3.21.gears in my 1500 to a set of 3.92 gears with a posi traction carrier. I was going to do the work myself as I have built rear ends and transmissions for many years. I wanted the upgrade in towing capacity like you. I've added rear air bags in the springs, installed better front and rear socks and and added a tuner for the engine performance. Nothing really needs to done to the 8 speed. All the disk brake rotors have been upgraded to performance rotors and heavy duty brake pads. Then I was reminded that the capacity sticker in the door will not be changed and my trucks legal max tow weight would not legally be increased to the 10,000 lb. range. I know the gears will help with towing heavier loads, but did the dealer state that the tow capacity of your truck will be upgraded to 10,000 lbs and are they going to put that in writing? Just curious if a dealer can do that for you.
Yes the dealer updated my vehicle’s information Chrysler’s computer regarding this change. The gear was offered for this vehicle when it came from the assembly line and Mopar Warranty will honor it. (Important to me me I have Lifetime/Unlimited Milage).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update, I was able to check with a mechanic friend in NY, he has the ALL DATA computer program that list out labor hours allowed for jobs. Switching gears was 5hours allowed. I went to the Service Manager and asked for Printout for the job (which you are entitled to). He was having trouble finding it and I asked him if he was using ALL DATA program and he was. So I took this young man to school, told that it’s 5 hours not 13 hours. A little embarrassed he was, caught in the act. Also a side note Service Manager may receive a commission on the job.
Happy I did it,I will be testing it out Next Wednesday.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Update, I was able to check with a mechanic friend in NY, he has the ALL DATA computer program that list out labor hours allowed for jobs. Switching gears was 5hours allowed. I went to the Service Manager and asked for Printout for the job (which you are entitled to). He was having trouble finding it and I asked him if he was using ALL DATA program and he was. So I took this young man to school, told that it’s 5 hours not 13 hours. A little embarrassed he was, caught in the act. Also a side note Service Manager may receive a commission on the job.
Happy I did it,I will be testing it out Next Wednesday.
Did they give you the money back?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts