DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,587 Posts
Myself , for that much money , I would have put it against a new truck with the gearing you want ..
For that 5 hours of labor alone he could’ve put a real mechanical locking differential in as well, but some people know it all. Probably has the weak 5/6 speed that will cost an arm and leg to replace soon anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Back to your original question, yes you will like the lower gearing. Our first Ram 1500, a 2013, Hemi, and trailer towing package w/3.92 gears was great. I pulled my 10' utility trailer all the time and we towed a 12', loaded to the gills, U-Haul trailer around 1000 miles twice. These trips ranged from lots of Interstate driving (~70 mph) to stuck in rush hour traffic (100 degrees outside, AC blasting) with absolutely no issues. Your mpg will suffer but as my wife says, I didn't buy it for the gas mileage. We averaged around 15.5 to 16.5 mpg for normal in-town, highway mixed driving. With a trailer attached, our gas mileage dropped to 12-13. Other than the mileage you'll notice your highway RPM will increase, which depending on what cam/lifter failure theory you believe, is a good thing. Our truck rarely switched to ECO mode unless you were going downhill. Our new Hemi powered Ram has the standard gearing which is okay, but I feel like the engine is just lugging along, which I've never felt was good for it. Time will tell. The 3.92 equipped Ram made it almost 200,000 miles before a lifter died. I blame myself for that, the wifey was driving 150 miles per day, almost exclusively highway, so I went 10,000 miles between oil changes. After she changed jobs, she drove mostly in town stop and go, but I continued the 10,000 mile oil change. I think if I would have gone back to 3,000 - 5,000 mile change it might have helped a save the engine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a lifetime/unlimited warranty and have you checked out the prices , used and new, for 2500’s? If you can find one.
Yes , I have checked prices , my new 2021 is on order , best price I've gotten in years , I had a 2007 , 2012 , 2016 , currently a 2018 , soon my 2021 , awaiting build .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Back to your original question, yes you will like the lower gearing. Our first Ram 1500, a 2013, Hemi, and trailer towing package w/3.92 gears was great. I pulled my 10' utility trailer all the time and we towed a 12', loaded to the gills, U-Haul trailer around 1000 miles twice. These trips ranged from lots of Interstate driving (~70 mph) to stuck in rush hour traffic (100 degrees outside, AC blasting) with absolutely no issues. Your mpg will suffer but as my wife says, I didn't buy it for the gas mileage. We averaged around 15.5 to 16.5 mpg for normal in-town, highway mixed driving. With a trailer attached, our gas mileage dropped to 12-13. Other than the mileage you'll notice your highway RPM will increase, which depending on what cam/lifter failure theory you believe, is a good thing. Our truck rarely switched to ECO mode unless you were going downhill. Our new Hemi powered Ram has the standard gearing which is okay, but I feel like the engine is just lugging along, which I've never felt was good for it. Time will tell. The 3.92 equipped Ram made it almost 200,000 miles before a lifter died. I blame myself for that, the wifey was driving 150 miles per day, almost exclusively highway, so I went 10,000 miles between oil changes. After she changed jobs, she drove mostly in town stop and go, but I continued the 10,000 mile oil change. I think if I would have gone back to 3,000 - 5,000 mile change it might have helped a save the engine.
Our Travel Trailer is 7800 lbs empty so that’s why I changed. The Trailer before this one was 6400 empty and the 321 gears didn’t have any problems with that. So in theory increasing tow capacity by 2200 lbs and towing something that’s 1400 lbs more shouldn’t be an issue. I ‘have 2400 lbs cushion.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Myself , for that much money , I would have put it against a new truck with the gearing you want ..
He would have lost his lifetime warranty he bought for the current truck if he did that. I believe that you can no longer get that warranty.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Good excuse to trade up every four or five years - new is nice . :D
Having no payments is even better. I have my truck paid fir and I also have the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Who said lifetime warranties aren't out there ? This dealer in my neck of the woods has them -

·
Registered
78 Posts
Changing gear ratios, is the dealer changing the factory ratings too for the door sticker? I was told that the factory only can change the ratings for the truck and they won't do it. So legally you may be exceeding your payload, your gross vehicle weight and gross combined weight of truck and trailer rating as per SAE J2807. If the sticker doesn't change then you would be overloaded and then if you get in an accident the insurance can deny your claim because of overloading and you will also get a ticket for overload. The vehicle load ratings are registered by VIN number and you can find them on google by year, cab, engine, box size, 2wd or 4wd, transmission, and diff gear ratio. It will tell you your Payload, Unloaded weight, Gross vehicle weight, Axle weights, Gross combined weight allowed (truck unloaded weight and trailer Gross Weight) and last tow capacity. If the dealer don't change the information on your door sticker, then you cannot exceed the original factory specifications. I questioned on changing mine too from 321 to 392 and this is what I was told and that the factory only legally can change the specifications of your truck and not a dealer. So good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Changing gear ratios, is the dealer changing the factory ratings too for the door sticker? I was told that the factory only can change the ratings for the truck and they won't do it. So legally you may be exceeding your payload, your gross vehicle weight and gross combined weight of truck and trailer rating as per SAE J2807. If the sticker doesn't change then you would be overloaded and then if you get in an accident the insurance can deny your claim because of overloading and you will also get a ticket for overload. The vehicle load ratings are registered by VIN number and you can find them on google by year, cab, engine, box size, 2wd or 4wd, transmission, and diff gear ratio. It will tell you your Payload, Unloaded weight, Gross vehicle weight, Axle weights, Gross combined weight allowed (truck unloaded weight and trailer Gross Weight) and last tow capacity. If the dealer don't change the information on your door sticker, then you cannot exceed the original factory specifications. I questioned on changing mine too from 321 to 392 and this is what I was told and that the factory only legally can change the specifications of your truck and not a dealer. So good luck.
No insurance company would ever deny a claim because the rear axle ratio was changed ,

·
Registered
78 Posts
No insurance company would ever deny a claim because the rear axle ratio was changed ,

View attachment 137820
It can and some will because you technically overloaded pulling your 7800lb depending if that is unloaded or loaded trailer because your truck by VIN number is still rated with the 321 axle ratio and you would be overloaded if its unloaded weight. They look at certain numbers if you get in an accident, GWR, Payload, Gross Combined Weight of trailer GVW and truck GWR and if you exceeded any one of those numbers they may cancel you. If you can get the VIN number to reflect the changes and get a new white sticker on your door and yellow sticker with the changes made, then you're good to go. But I was told that the factory is the only one that can do it, I was going to do the same with my 2014 Ram 1500 Crew 4X4 back in 2016 and that's the information I was told then.
Youper? Must be from the UP.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's Yooper , yes from up on the shores of Gitchee Gumee . Rest assured , no one is ever going to check the rear end ratio if you're ever involved in a accident .

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,587 Posts
If the cause of the accident was while hauling near capacity, insurance will absolutely go full CSI down to the pennies in your cup holder to push at fault completely into the consumer’s hand. Especially when there are medical bills above and beyond rate support or life was lost.

Even in states such as Michigan who still let multiple DUI offenders off the hook with a slap on the wrist...

21 - 40 of 45 Posts