DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to start a new thread on the 5W-20 and 5W-30 oil question(s), but specifically for the 5.7 Hemi.
This was prompted by the following in my 2015 RAM owners manual, pages 767-768
Engine Oil Viscosity — 5.7L Engine (1500/2500/3500 Models)
MOPAR SAE 5W-20 engine oil or equivalent Pennzoil® or Shell Helix® is recommended for all operating temperatures.

NOTE: For 2500/3500 trucks with a 5.7L engine operating under a gross combined weight rating of 14,000 lbs (6 350 kg) or greater, SAE 5W-30 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures.
This is the same truck and engine, but used in heavy operating conditions.

I change my oil every 6 months or 6,000 miles and feel comfortable with the 5W-20 when changed that often. But this note in the manual makes me comfortable with using 5W-30 if somebody wants to for their use. And I may use the 5W-30 in my next oil change since I tow 8,000# often, even though that is a combined weight of only 13,000#

What do you think? Any other info on this specific use with the 5.7 Hemi?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My service mgr @ the dealership where I bought my Ram from-->Is a very close friend of 26 years. He instructed me since I always do my own service work to switch from the 5W-20 to either 0W-30 or 5W-30 @ my first OCI. I switched at the 1K mile mark!

I will say within my service manual it clearly states I can run a 5W-30 if the 20Wt oil is unavailable.

My 5.7L sees very little city/stop & go driving. Most is Interstate/Turnpike/Highway driving mostly @ 70-85 mph. Also a decent amount of civilized towing during the summer months.

At the 14K mile mark-->My service mgr {Steve} and I talked about adding the SRT 0W-40 for the extra Moly. He assured me the MDS system would function properly. I was a bit skeptical at first so I added only 3qts along with 4qts of 5W-30. My 5.7L has never been quieter and very responsive. Idle is smooth as silk. MPG has not suffered one bit.

Steve owns a supercharged SRT-10 Truck as well as a proud owner of a new 2015 Hellcat and is the biggest gear head I know and knows his Hemi engines. So I trust his advice and knowledge. He has been the Service mgr at the same dealership for over 31 years and they compensate him well.

Anyway-->my 5.7L is running on 4Qts PUP 5W-30 & 3Qts PUP SRT 0W-40 with a Fram Ultra Filter for my summer oil change. I can't be happier with this combo! Smooth/Quiet/Very Responsive! This OCI will be sent in to Blackstone for a UOA.

I was asked to post my experience so there it is! I do follow the OLM. It has averaged so far with my driving style and driving habits to drop below the 5% mark around 8500 miles.

With that said: I will never and never have preached or gave advice for other members to use a thicker viscosity oil within their 5.7L... I for one don't have the time nor care what others use! So don't pull the Dr Phil or Oprah card and begin ridiculing my Oil & Viscosity choice. Why should it matter to you what oil I use? I understand when humans don't understand their first reaction is to hate/slander/ridicule!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
My service mgr @ the dealership where I bought my Ram from-->Is a very close friend of 26 years. He instructed me since I always do my own service work to switch from the 5W-20 to either 0W-30 or 5W-30 @ my first OCI. I switched at the 1K mile mark!

I will say within my service manual it clearly states I can run a 5W-30 if the 20Wt oil is unavailable.

My 5.7L sees very little city/stop & go driving. Most is Interstate/Turnpike/Highway driving mostly @ 70-85 mph. Also a decent amount of civilized towing during the summer months.

At the 14K mile mark-->My service mgr {Steve} and I talked about adding the SRT 0W-40 for the extra Moly. He assured me the MDS system would function properly. I was a bit skeptical at first so I added only 3qts along with 4qts of 5W-30. My 5.7L has never been quieter and very responsive. Idle is smooth as silk. MPG has not suffered one bit.

Steve owns a supercharged SRT-10 Truck as well as a proud owner of a new 2015 Hellcat and is the biggest gear head I know and knows his Hemi engines. So I trust his advice and knowledge. He has been the Service mgr at the same dealership for over 31 years and they compensate him well.

Anyway-->my 5.7L is running on 4Qts PUP 5W-30 & 3Qts PUP SRT 0W-40 with a Fram Ultra Filter for my summer oil change. I can't be happier with this combo! Smooth/Quiet/Very Responsive! This OCI will be sent in to Blackstone for a UOA.

I was asked to post my experience so there it is! I do follow the OLM. It has averaged so far with my driving style and driving habits to drop below the 5% mark around 8500 miles.

With that said: I will never and never have preached or gave advice for other members to use a thicker viscosity oil within their 5.7L... I for one don't have the time nor care what others use! So don't pull the Dr Phil or Oprah card and begin ridiculing my Oil & Viscosity choice. Why should it matter to you what oil I use? I understand when humans don't understand their first reaction is to hate/slander/ridicule!

Glad it's worked out for you, but don't understand why you had to do this rant at the end of your post, didn't see any negative being sent your way.

·
Premium Member
32,601 Posts
Ram 1500s with the 5.7L engines began using MDS in 2006

My 2009 Ram 5.7L with MDS will show a message of "visit the dealer" if 5W-20 is not in the crank case
They had accidentally poured 5W-30 into my crankcase & the message came up before i had driven 7 miles to my home

When they checked it out, they found that the cause was Incorrect Viscosity

If you don't get that message, your good to go :)

I sure hope that the Fram oil filter that you use is not the cheapest one, they can blow out
Fram makes Premium oil filters & they seem to last longer

My '09 came from the factory with a Mopar oil filter that cross referenced to a WIX oil filter, it also had Mobil motor oil
Mobile had the lubricant contract back then

Now Shell has the contract

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted to start a new thread on the 5W-20 and 5W-30 oil question(s), but specifically for the 5.7 Hemi.
This was prompted by the following in my 2015 RAM owners manual, pages 767-768This is the same truck and engine, but used in heavy operating conditions.

I change my oil every 6 months or 6,000 miles and feel comfortable with the 5W-20 when changed that often. But this note in the manual makes me comfortable with using 5W-30 if somebody wants to for their use. And I may use the 5W-30 in my next oil change since I tow 8,000# often, even though that is a combined weight of only 13,000#

What do you think? Any other info on this specific use with the 5.7 Hemi?
I used 5/30 in my 2007 Hemi and it developed a metallic tapping sound from one of the lifters so I changed back to 5/20 and now it’s fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts