DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi with close to 79k miles. I've had this truck since new and I had no complaints about it until recently when the check engine light turned on and my truck would stall/turn off/EVIC system would display a message somewhere along the lines 'Shift to P to start' or 'Select gear to Drive'... This all happens when I come to a full stop at a red light or a stop sign. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be an easy DIY fix or should I take it to the dealership to get it done?

:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had this problem on my 05 and it was the EGR valve, easy replacement. You could also run some fuel system cleaner through there that might help.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Also check if your battery is healthy. Low voltage during normal operation can bring all sorts of mystery gremlins to life.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I had this problem on my 05 and it was the EGR valve, easy replacement. You could also run some fuel system cleaner through there that might help.
2009+ 5.7 Hemis do not have EGR, when they added VVT it eliminated the need

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
p0455-evap purge system large leak

p0456-evap purge system small leak

p0641-sensor reference voltage 1 circuit

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Mine would stall at the red light but I never got any lights. It was my throttle body and it cost $400. Not happy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sounds like there is a large vacuum leak somewhere in your system. Shouldn't be too hard to find. With it running you should be able to hear it if it is a large vacuum leak.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Trust me...it will come back sooner or later. EPA is cut back but not eliminated.
Maybe, but our trucks don't have it so I would not go troubleshooting EGR problems on them

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did the smoke test and confirmed the culprits of the problem - EVAP Canister and Purge Solenoid.

Can't believe i'm replacing this so early in my truck's life. It is what it is.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,244 Posts
Did the smoke test and confirmed the culprits of the problem - EVAP Canister and Purge Solenoid.

Can't believe i'm replacing this so early in my truck's life. It is what it is.
That is a bummer. Did they happen to say what, if anything, could be done to prevent something like this happening? Or is it just one of those one off things? Glad to hear they got you fixed up regardless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts