DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I spent the day tearing down the 5.7 in my 15’ Ram going after the dreaded tick. Once I got the heads off and pulled the lifter retainers, I was suspended to find the rear lifter in the front right set had rotated 90 degrees in it’s bore and the roller grinding a nice U-shaped profile into the cam lobe. I’m trying to understand what may have happened. Are we really trusting that plastic retainer to keep the lifters properly aligned? And since the lifter body is solid and riding the cam lobe, the liters must be moving up and down in those retainers, right? How are they not a wear item? I need to go back out to the garage to take a closer look at that retainer to see if it’s cracked or badly worn...it would have to be, I’d think. Anyhow, is this common with these things?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also found my lifter rotated 90 degrees as well; does your cam look similar to the attached picture? I also was surprised to see this as I was expecting the needle bearings in the roller lifter to be seized causing the camshaft damage. For me, this was the first I had heard/seen this.

Jack

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine isn’t that severe, but yes, same idea. I’m just baffled that the task of roller lifter alignment is left to those flimsy plastic guides held in with 1 small bolt.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
650 Posts
Mine isn’t that severe, but yes, same idea. I’m just baffled that the task of roller lifter alignment is left to those flimsy plastic guides held in with 1 small bolt.
Wtf. Plastic??? Never knew that. I'm sure they last just fine...until the warranty is up at 60k miles lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In its defense, it loafed down the highway (literally) for 170k miles before is broke. Still it’s hard to look at the Silverado that this truck replaced, bone stock and going strong and smooth at 245k.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,853 Posts
Did it round out the retainer flats that orient the lifter? I’ve seen a couple instances like this. MDS cylinder, lots of idle time to go along with low rpm cruising?
Curious if the hydraulic mechanism stuck down during low/dirty oil pressure and allowed it to pivot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It didn’t round them, but after the lifter spun it started cutting its own new guides into the plastic. When the lifter is placed back into that retainer normally, there’s a ton of clearance now as they plastic has splayed apart from the lifter now sitting in there on its “wide” diameter Finger Wood Thumb Household hardware Jewellery

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,853 Posts
Thanks for following up, pull the internal snap rings off the back and see what’s going on. How was the pushrod?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had an MDS lifter rotate 90 degrees as well on a 6.4L Grand Cherokee at 123k miles. The retainer was not broken as well. Switched to non MDS lifters and cam.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts