DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! I could not find anyone who has done this so I figured I'd tell everyone my experience and hopefully answer some questions. If youre looking at this on a phone you'll have to scroll to the bottom and exit the mobile view to see all the pictures. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Express 4x4. The whole reason I did this is because I threw a rod in the 5.7 and destroyed the block. Warranty expired too. So, I ripped the old engine out and got online to find a new one. Well, I came across a brand new on the crate 6.4 truck hemi for $4000. After an entire night of research I went and picked it up the next morning. These engines use the same block, sensors, oil pan etc.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Since I had the old engine it made the next part easy. I got rid of all the EGR crap and made a little plate to cover the hole on the intake manifold out of some scrap sheet metal. I reused the exhaust manifolds from the 5.7 so I didnt have to worry about the EGR hole there. The 6.4 uses a different timing cover and water pump too. I swapped these out for the original 5.7 ones because it didnt have any of the EGR cooling ports and oil cooler ports on it. I used the old wiring harness that goes under the intake manifold to the MDS solenoids as the new one had the connection in a different spot. I also removed the oil cooler where the filter goes. Other than that, I didnt have to change any sensors or anything else that would cause a problem.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

I threw the new engine in and everything bolted right up. The 6.4 intake manifold is a little different. I had to extend the wires for the plug that goes to the variable intake runner servo. No big deal just some wire and electrical connectors. The A/C lines ran right over the intake with no problem. Now I used the 5.7 throttle body because the electrical connectors changed in 2013 and this is a 2014 engine but the port is the same size and it bolts up the same. If you are doing this to a 2013 or newer truck you could just use the 6.4 throttle body. I am eventually going to make a real cold air intake but for now this filter setup works fine.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
The 6.4 intake manifold does not have a port for the brake booster as the 2500 and 3500 use a vacuum pump for this. I drilled a hole in the manifold and installed a barbed fitting for the hose and this works perfectly. I used sealant/adhesive around the connections. So all that said and done, I still needed to get it tuned. You could get a handheld and bring it to a custom tuner but I went an easier route. I contacted Kevin Sykes over at Syked ECU Tuning and mailed him my PCM. I gave him a list of everything I did with all the details and he took it from there. Got it back in the mail, plugged it in, and she fired right up. There are no check engine lights or noises. Runs like a dream. VERY powerful compared to the 5.7. Dont get wrapped up around the 6.4 only having 10 more HP. The power curve is very different. The 6.4 makes a ton of power at low RPM right where you use it every day. The only things I have planned to do is make the new cold air intake, and once that is done I will run a tube into it for the crankcase breather instead of that little filter on there. This swap could easily be done with just a new long block 6.4 and swap all your old 5.7 parts over. I am open to any questions and willing to send pictures of specific parts. Good luck!
And heres the old block. The plant is in an old dirtbike piston.
[/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
That's really cool, good to hear it is so easy.

Get yourself some 392 badges now

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Freakin nice man! I know what I will be doing if my hemi ever takes a dump!

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
Freakin nice man! I know what I will be doing if my hemi ever takes a dump!
I wonder if you could grab a salvage SRT or truck 392 out of a vehicle Harvey flooded

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Very nice work! I was gonna remark on the PCV system but you already have a plan for that. It's nice having a wide powerband isn't it?

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
I could but not going to unless i need it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice work! I was gonna remark on the PCV system but you already have a plan for that. It's nice having a wide powerband isn't it?
Fixed it today actually. Not a cold air setup but I needed something that flowed more air than what I had. The stock tube is 3" and this tube is 4". Revved out a little smoother when I gave it some gas.

Attachments

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
It makes sense it would be taller since the 2500/3500 platform uses a slightly taller hood.

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
There's still a ton of space in these engine bays though with the cover removed; plenty of room

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Christ almighty that's a tall intake manifold...I have been wondering how different the 6.4 truck is vs the 5.7 truck intake.
It's actually the same size. It just doesn't have the plastic engine cover over it so it looks taller. But the port comes out sideways instead out of the top like the 5.7. Maybe that makes it look taller. And the servo for the intake runners is in the front instead of the back.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What are your new plans now that the swap is complete? Nobody goes through the trouble and keeps it stock do they?? ��
I'll be getting long tube headers with high flow cats at some point. ARH brand would be nice but not for $1300. Anybody familiar with those long tubes on eBay for $250? I can bend and weld the rest of the pipe and buy a high flow Y pipe for a lot less money than the ARH

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
It's actually the same size. It just doesn't have the plastic engine cover over it so it looks taller. But the port comes out sideways instead out of the top like the 5.7. Maybe that makes it look taller. And the servo for the intake runners is in the front instead of the back.
I saw all that, I have a 5.7 truck manifold in my garage, your pics just make the 6.4 manifold seem taller

1 - 20 of 110 Posts