DODGE RAM FORUM banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any tuner can disable the MDS. And the 5.7 already had the variable intake runners so the 6.4 servo plugged right in to the existing wire. The 6 speed is undoubtedly better than the 5 speed but that's a whole different project on it's own. In your situation since you have a 2006, none of the wires will match and you will run into a bunch of little problems. You're better off finding a 6.1 hemi that will pretty much bolt right in.
First and foremost, well done and thank you for posting such a great write-up! Like Raybo, I am considering a 6.4 swap on a 2013 Ram 2500 with a non-MDS 5.7L but I have some concerns with going from a non-MDS to MDS system. I assume that my harness doesn't have connections for the MDS solenoids. In which case I believe that my options are to install an MDS delete kit (lifters, cam, plugs), or replace the harness and PCM. Since you've gone through the swap I thought that I'd ask what your thoughts are?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes. The 5.7 injectors are big enough for the 6.4. But the 5.7 injectors will not fit in the 6.4 inake or vise versa. The 6.4 injectors are longer. But the tuner I have from Syked Ecu will use any size injector you plug into it and the 5.7 injectors have enough flow to accommodate the 6.4 power.
Please forgive me for asking what may have already been covered...
I have a high mile 2007 Ram 1500 2wd 5.7. I am considering either a low mile used 5.7 as a replacement, rebuilding my existing engine or another....OR now THIS 6.4 swap.
I know plenty about classic cars but the computer controlled stuff is still new to me. Can a 6.4 block and heads be swapped into my 2007 by retaining the 5.7 intake, front accessories, etc? Can the 2007 computer and injectors work well with the newer 6.4?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
First and foremost, well done and thank you for posting such a great write-up! Like Raybo, I am considering a 6.4 swap on a 2013 Ram 2500 with a non-MDS 5.7L but I have some concerns with going from a non-MDS to MDS system. I assume that my harness doesn't have connections for the MDS solenoids. In which case I believe that my options are to install an MDS delete kit (lifters, cam, plugs), or replace the harness and PCM. Since you've gone through the swap I thought that I'd ask what your thoughts are?

Thanks in advance!
You don't have to plug in the solenoids or anything. Just leave the solenoids there with nothing hooked up and the engine will act as if they're not there. A tuner really just stops the PCM from sending power to them anyways. Their default position is closed so the engine will run normally if the solenoid breaks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
You
Please forgive me for asking what may have already been covered...
I have a high mile 2007 Ram 1500 2wd 5.7. I am considering either a low mile used 5.7 as a replacement, rebuilding my existing engine or another....OR now THIS 6.4 swap.
I know plenty about classic cars but the computer controlled stuff is still new to me. Can a 6.4 block and heads be swapped into my 2007 by retaining the 5.7 intake, front accessories, etc? Can the 2007 computer and injectors work well with the newer 6.4?
If your current block is undamaged then you are better off buying a stroker kit. You will make way more power for less money than buying a 6.4 crate. You're looking at 600 hp for $3,000 or less compared to 410 hp in a stock 6.4 truck. I only did the swap because my 5.7 block was useless after my rod decided to be an astronaut. So I was going to spend the money either way. Might as well upgrade.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I still live in CA so I need to keep within the limits of the emission controls. A longer stroke crank makes sense but I surely can't go too far with camshaft timing or exhaust mods.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I still live in CA so I need to keep within the limits of the emission controls. A longer stroke crank makes sense but I surely can't go too far with camshaft timing or exhaust mods.
If you need to pass CA emissions then stock engine is your only option. The 6.4 will put out more emissions than your truck is allowed. All of the trucks that the 6.4 comes in have a GVWR over 10,000 lbs so they fall into a different set of emissions regulations. The only way to make it pass would be to have someone write a tune that is designed specifically to pass the sniffer and obd2 check tests. And at that point you'll be making significantly less power. Unless you have a buddy that works at a smog place, Commiefornia wont let you have it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The emission testing here is actually quite simple now. They don't run OBD2 vehicles on the dyno, they don't even use the probe. They scan for codes, look for visible smoke, check for EVAP leaks and that is all. If the computer isn't showing any active codes, it passes the test.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a '14 Ram 1500. I am attempting to change out a blown engine with a salvage yard replacement. Should I take out the front core support to remove/install engine ? It looks like older models the upper radiator support just un-bolts. This newer model looks like its all one piece requiring removal of of headlights, bumper, ect. I've searched videos but can't find much on Gen.4 Ram 1500's. TY

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I have a '14 Ram 1500. I am attempting to change out a blown engine with a salvage yard replacement. Should I take out the front core support to remove/install engine ? It looks like older models the upper radiator support just un-bolts. This newer model looks like its all one piece requiring removal of of headlights, bumper, ect. I've searched videos but can't find much on Gen.4 Ram 1500's. TY
It can easily be done with the core support still installed. There are a couple pictures in here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nicve. Makes it look possible for my skill level. I also wonder if the swap is the only path forward, I was hoping to find a tune/kit for a supercharger on a '16 2500 5.7l and avoid the 6.4 swap until the block goes. they have packages for the 6.4 but not the 5.7 ( my wife picked up this 4x4 HD Tradesman super cheap , no complaints besides power boost actually ).... I could always take the gears as discussed if I can't get boost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 16 2500 5.7 i am wanting to do a 6.4 swap. My question is does the 8th digit of the vin have to match for it to work?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 2wd 4.7l, would it be easier or harder to swap a 6.4l from a Ram 2500?
The 4.7 is a completely different engine from the hemi. Absolutely NOTHING will be easy. The entire wiring harness, pcm, engine mounts, cooling system, probably the tranny bellhousing (not 100% sure), and fuel system will need to be changed. Easier to just buy a hemi truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 ram 2500 5.7 hemi, lifter seized and ruined the cam, looking to swap to a 6.4. Do I have to use the 6.4 engine wire harness or will the 5.7 harness work? Since the truck is a 2500 I'm thinking the swap should be fairly easy? I can't seem to find any information on this.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
You'll probably need a new harness; the 6.4 didn't come out until 2014

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
You can use your factory harness. My truck was a 2012 as well. The 2500 swap is even easier than the 1500. Details are in this thread.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I have a 2012 ram 2500 5.7 hemi, lifter seized and ruined the cam, looking to swap to a 6.4. Do I have to use the 6.4 engine wire harness or will the 5.7 harness work? Since the truck is a 2500 I'm thinking the swap should be fairly easy? I can't seem to find any information on this.
If you do go through with the swap, message me or comment on here with any questions. I'd be happy to help.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts