DODGE RAM FORUM banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Ernie315 best swap for an 06 Megacab? Mine has the dreaded tic and now half a dozen broken exhaust bolts flush with the head/port. Wanting to upgrade for more torque. Stroker kit or swap? I'd also like to add the MDS for highway cruising... it seems to work well on my 300C... is the wiring there in the harness already or something I would have to add (and enable with tuner)? Has anyone found headers for the Megacab? Would like a newer engine with VVT also but I saw it posted that this is not a good idea because of "small problems". Thanks for any info/help you can give.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
@Ernie315 best swap for an 06 Megacab? Mine has the dreaded tic and now half a dozen broken exhaust bolts flush with the head/port. Wanting to upgrade for more torque. Stroker kit or swap? I'd also like to add the MDS for highway cruising... it seems to work well on my 300C... is the wiring there in the harness already or something I would have to add (and enable with tuner)? Has anyone found headers for the Megacab? Would like a newer engine with VVT also but I saw it posted that this is not a good idea because of "small problems". Thanks for any info/help you can give.
There really is no easy swap in your case. Since your engine block is in useable condition, a stroker kit will give you more bang for your buck than a bigger hemi swap ever could. An Arrington stroker kit for the 5.7 will outperform a stock 6.4 by far. As for MDS, you will need an entire different engine block, cam, wiring harness, and computer. Only to decide later that you want to disable it. It's not worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm just curious cuz I have a 2013 ram 1500 with the 5.7 and 8 speed transmission and the dial shifter will i need to get a different ECM or PCM or can I just plug and play still? Also what mods would be required if I got a 2012-2013 6.4 hemi for this truck?
Thanks Zach

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I'm just curious cuz I have a 2013 ram 1500 with the 5.7 and 8 speed transmission and the dial shifter will i need to get a different ECM or PCM or can I just plug and play still? Also what mods would be required if I got a 2012-2013 6.4 hemi for this truck?
Thanks Zach
For just an engine swap it's as easy as everything I covered in here. A 2012-2013 6.4 will have come from a car and will not have the low end power that the truck version does. You will just need to put your current engines sensors on the 6.4 and go have fun. Ditch your exhaust log manifolds and get headers. The 6.4 will suffer without them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay so what 6.4 hemi years should I be looking for and I won't need to worry about the dial shifter or transmission at all? Also what do you mean by ditch the log manifolds and get headers? Can I use the 5.7 hemi manifolds, or should I just get headers for the 6.4 hemi?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Okay so what 6.4 hemi years should I be looking for and I won't need to worry about the dial shifter or transmission at all? Also what do you mean by ditch the log manifolds and get headers? Can I use the 5.7 hemi manifolds, or should I just get headers for the 6.4 hemi?
Any year 6.4 will work I was just saying that would be the car version so it wouldn't really be good for towing. It will definitely be faster but no low end grunt that a truck needs. The truck version only came in 2014+ Rams. And your 5.7 exhaust manifolds will bolt up but they are very restrictive and will cause a 6.4 to feel sluggish. For any exhaust parts, buy them for your specific truck. Not for the engine. Everything will bolt up to the engine exactly the same. So get headers for a 2013 ram 1500 with a 5.7. This engine swap will not affect your transmission in any way. You would be using your stock wiring harness with the 6.4.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay perfect thank you for the information. What headers would you recommend? I already have a custom exhaust for this truck. Which is basically true duals straight pipe.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Okay perfect thank you for the information. What headers would you recommend? I already have a custom exhaust for this truck. Which is basically true duals straight pipe.
I had ebay long tubes on mine with a custom Y pipe and loved it. As for short tubes, I have no idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So what brand long tubes should I get for the truck so I have them when I do this swap? Would a 2017 ram 2500 6.4 hemi work? I'm building a build list of everything i should buy for this truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So what other mods would you recommend to buy. I really dont want it to be like a drag truck or anything I just want it to tow and be more responsive. What suspension would be better to increase towing capacity?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
So what other mods would you recommend to buy. I really dont want it to be like a drag truck or anything I just want it to tow and be more responsive. What suspension would be better to increase towing capacity?
My long tubes were cheap on eBay. Theres a link in this thread somewhere to my review on them. But ARH headers are probably the best. For towing and reliability I would recommend a good tune, increasing the transmission line pressure, and a 180-190 degree thermostat to start. The transmission is the weak link in a 1500 when it comes to towing. As for suspension, that's personal preference. A better sway bar and air bags or timbrens help a 1500 a lot. But no matter what you do to a 1500 it will never tow like a newer 2500 or 3500. The brakes are better, the suspension components are beefier, and the frame is stiffer. If anyone tells you otherwise its because they are trying to justify their purchase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay good to know thank you. My transmission is the rare 8 speed challenger transmission. It's rare for the 2013 RAMS to have.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts