DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dodge experts;

The trouble began with a flickering emergency brake light on my dash. It went out, but shortly thereafter, my speedometer quit working. Then, the check engine light came on (and speedo still not working). Diagnostic tester reported code P0501 "Vehicle Speed Signal #1 Performance". So I replaced the ABS Speed Sensor mounted on the differential. I drove the truck a short distance, and the speedo was still inop and the CE light still on. So I replaced the speed sensor mounted on the tranny, and same story. After replacing one (or both) of these sensors, do I need to somehow reset the computer to recognize it/them ? Which one of these two sensors is the likely culprit ? Do I need to drive the truck for a while longer for it to recognize the new sensor(s) ? Is there another component that I need to replace ? Thank you for the help !

Craig

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,435 Posts
Dodge experts;

The trouble began with a flickering emergency brake light on my dash. It went out, but shortly thereafter, my speedometer quit working. Then, the check engine light came on (and speedo still not working). Diagnostic tester reported code P0501 "Vehicle Speed Signal #1 Performance". So I replaced the ABS Speed Sensor mounted on the differential. I drove the truck a short distance, and the speedo was still inop and the CE light still on. So I replaced the speed sensor mounted on the tranny, and same story. After replacing one (or both) of these sensors, do I need to somehow reset the computer to recognize it/them ? Which one of these two sensors is the likely culprit ? Do I need to drive the truck for a while longer for it to recognize the new sensor(s) ? Is there another component that I need to replace ? Thank you for the help !
Craig
Im no expert and if you post in the help thread you would prob get the answer you are looking for. Check your battery connections and make sure they are tight and not corroded. Before that though disconnect the positive side and let it sit for awhile to clear any codes. Also check that the battery is good and the alternator is putting out the right voltage to the battery.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm assuming this is a question relating to your 2003?

The speed sensor for the speedo and ABS and such is the one in the diff. If you replaced the sensor (and are absolutely sure it's a good new sensor), then it's time to start doing circuit diagnostics. Start checking the wiring to and from the sensor. Only other possibilities are an open or shorted or corroded wire. Or a bad ABS module.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts