DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.9 in it. When I first bought the truck I had to do an engine swap because the long block was bad. After changing the engine out for the junk yard engine I started it up and now this engine ticks from the top instead of bottom.So the owner of junk yard gave me a new driver side head and after installing it the engine sounded great and ran great. I used a OBDII bluetooth to smart phone app called TORQUE pro to find out what HP I had and it was near 275! Then last week i got gas at safeway and i think is was bad because as soon as I got on the highway it puttered out and was knocking and has loss of power.So I get home and did compression test and was getting 155 out of most but 2 that had 90-120. I was told thats bad.So i tore down the engine again and cleaned the heads up with emery cloth and put new valve seals in plus I cleaned everything else .After torquing down the heads with new gaskets I started it and ran Torque app and i get 120hp! it seems slow around 3000rpm and I have run out of options Money and Almost my MIND!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Torque doesn't really measure HP, it guessamates it. I've used Torque and I know many in the tuner crowd love it, but I'm not all that trusting of it. Use the butt-dyno.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
if it still has the stock cam they tend to loose ass at around 3000 rpm. Now if still in doubt test compression, check fuel pressure, and vac. if that checks out. get octane boost and some heet. don't buy safeway gas. sometimes they use a therd party vendor for there fuel. Its whoever will give them the best price so they can pass it on to you. (lol) But still sometimes quality is what suffers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im going to bring it my local Mech to for a diagnostic test and mainly have him focus on the engines loss of power.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Well good luck. Let us know what issue turn's out to be. Id still say bad or dirty gas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts