DODGE RAM FORUM banner

5.9 or 5.7?

2682 21
Hi, I'm new to the forums and will soon be purchasing another truck. I am looking at 2002-2005 Ram 1500 Off-Road Edition and am trying to decide between the 5.9 or the 5.7. I dropped a 5.9 into my Dakota that I currently drive and have never had a problem besides a Crank Sensor (@177k miles). However the 5.7 has 100 more horsepower and is probably more efficient as it's a newer engine. I am going to be buying a Ram with 80-120k miles on it so I am curious if the 5.9 is as durable as the 5.7?

Thanks
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
13,692 Posts
Definitely get the hemi! The 5.9 is pretty reliable, but the 5.7 is at least as reliable, but probably even more reliable. Also has much more power and better mpg. Also the trans behind the hemi is far superior to the one behind the 5.9.

You asked about the 4.7L, it is a good reliable engine. The 2007 and older ones don't have a lot of hp though. They have decent torque, and are still great engines, but won't have near the hp of the hemi or the later 4.7L. IMO, knowing what I know now that I have a ram, I would not buy an older 4.7L, but would get either the older hemi, newer hemi, or the newr 4.7L. I want to go fast though....if you just want a good truck engine, they will all do fine realistically.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
I've known a few other people with 4.7L's (both 2007 and older, and 2008 and newer) and none have had issues. These have all been daily drivers though, not heavy tow rigs or racing or anything. Mine has nearly 60k miles and I run it pretty hard racing it at times and it runs perfect.

I've known several people with 3rd gen hemi's that raced at the track dozens of times a year and had no issues even after 100k miles...hemi is a great engine for sure, you'll love it!

· Registered
13,692 Posts
^The new 4.7L (2008 and up) actually has 310hp, so your both wrong :) it's shy of the old hemi by 35hp. It has 330lb ft though and I think that's a closer gap to the old hemi.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
330lb ft.

With the superchips 93 tune it's 333hp and 365lb ft for the 2008 and up 4.7L. Pretty much the older hemi more or less...and with the truck being a few hundred pounds lighter it basically is the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.