DODGE RAM FORUM banner

5.9 or 5.7?

2687 21
Hi, I'm new to the forums and will soon be purchasing another truck. I am looking at 2002-2005 Ram 1500 Off-Road Edition and am trying to decide between the 5.9 or the 5.7. I dropped a 5.9 into my Dakota that I currently drive and have never had a problem besides a Crank Sensor (@177k miles). However the 5.7 has 100 more horsepower and is probably more efficient as it's a newer engine. I am going to be buying a Ram with 80-120k miles on it so I am curious if the 5.9 is as durable as the 5.7?

Thanks
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks, but I meant to say that I am trying to decide between a Ram 1500 with a 5.9 or a Ram 1500 with a 5.7, I am in the market but can only afford high mileage, so which is more durable?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that's what I was thinking, thanks.

By the way I notice you have the 4.7, how is that engine? Because before I was looking at Rams I wanted a Quad Cab Dakota but the 4.7 made me nervous due to the fact that it is a new design and a SOHC so I was leaning towards the 5.9

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate all the responses, I personally love my 5.9 (@178k miles) and believe it is a great engine, but I am looking for more performance but did not want to sacrifice durability, but from all of you who have said it is just as durable or more so coupled with the upgraded transmission I'll defiantly have to go with the Hemi.

Also that's good to know the 4.7 is reliable, the reason I questioned it's durability is because I had heard a lot of people who towed or hauled had issues with the heads cracking at high miles (75k +). My dad's mechanic bought a brand new Ram and it's head cracked a year later and Dodge (or Ram now I suppose) did not cover it under warranty.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah that's the only thing I can say, the 5.9 is cheaper than the Hemi, by the way the Hemi has 345 HP not 315, the new (2008) 4.7 has 302 hp, so it's 43 less.

Not trying to be a dick, just saying it has 345

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.