DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am currently workin on a stroker can I use 5.9 rt pistons r they good for strokers or r they to small and not strong enough

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If I am currently workin on a stroker can I use 5.9 rt pistons r they good for strokers or r they to small and not strong enough
The stock pistons are good for about 450 HP. I must say they though that you might benefit by replacing the pistons and rods to increase the compression even more.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I would be my gues that unless someone has given you a killer deal on stock "new" pistions (please tell me your not reusing your old pistions) I would almost bet lunch you can find a deal from one of the countless vendors out there on a really good set of pistions, and as ramvan stated I would spring for rods as well. What are you building a 406?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm shooting for a 408 possibly 410 but I would of course replace the rods and springs to just wondering about the rt pistons cuz there in a local junkyard for cheap I have to replace everything but the heads cuz all I bought was a used 5.9 block and heads because that's all I want to use stock port and polish don't forget boar!

·
Registered
49 Posts
stock pistons are about a half inch to tall to use in a stroker, keep in mind you are adding just about a half inch of up and down on your pistons so if you want your pistons to have a nasty meeting with your cylinder heads then use stock, otherwise get the pistons to match the application, I suggest going forged aswell

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
stock pistons are about a half inch to tall to use in a stroker, keep in mind you are adding just about a half inch of up and down on your pistons so if you want your pistons to have a nasty meeting with your cylinder heads then use stock, otherwise get the pistons to match the application, I suggest going forged aswell
This was going to be my advice, or something very similar. You need a shorter skirt on a stroker piston to allow for the added travel and angle between the piston skirt and connecting rod. The stock pistons are also fairly weak around the top ring land and with the added sidewall pressure from the added stroke you can run into issues, so I would also recommend forged, but most custom/stroker pistons are either forged or machine cut and will hold up much better quality and properly balanced compared to modified stockers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts