DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, (2003 dodge ram QC, 75K, 20" tires, 3.92 rear end)

I've noticed recently that my dodge is feeling sluggish in overdrive, and last week it started kicking every so often when i get trapped behind traffic going 55mph. I took it to the dealer i bought it from a year and a half ago and needed to get the transmission fluid changed anyhow, so he did that and updated the PCM but it did not solve the problem. I'm wondering if anyone else out there is having the issue.

It seems now its like i have NO power in overdrive whatsoever, and the transmission and engine for some reason now think 1500-2000rpm is a great idea for going up hills! In overdrive I step on the gas, the rpms go up to 2500 rpm, and with the pedal in the same position quickly drop back loosely to 1200-2000rpm.

I've read that this thing likes to get into overdrive as fast as possible, but seriosly, the truck sounds like it is struggling in this rpm/mph/gear range

I know i can switch off overdrive, but would like to get more than 10mpg highway...

Any help is greatly appreciated, Im falling outa love with my ram!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine does the same thing. These 4.7's arent worth a broke dick. Dont get me wring, its a reliable engine but, my truck weighs 6200 lbs. 235 hp and 295 tq's is realy shitty. Hills are always a bitch due to the fact it likes to hit overdrive asap. Also when the truck is cold it wont hit over drive untill it hits operating temp, which is about 10 mins of driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Praise The Lord!

You have no idea how long I have been searching forums for someone with my same problem! My 2007 ram 1500 4.7 does exactly the same thing going up hills. I had the transmission fluid and filters changed hoping that would help and the shop said the tranny looked great. I have been searching for solutions to this problem for a while and was beginning to think I'm crazy.

Have you found a solution yet??

I tried driving it with O/D Off and it drove muuuucchhh better but it wouldn't up shift out of 4th into 5th gear when on the freeway.

My next thought was to get a Superchips Cortex performance tuner and try to adjust the shift points and what not and see if that helps.

If anyone has any input or ideas please post it!! Thanks!

·
Registered
13,682 Posts
Honestly it's most likely just the programming of the shift schedule. Maybe it's not desirable for your terrain/type of driving. You could try a superchips programmer with the advanced transmission tuning where you can make your own shift schedules.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts