DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im in the process of building my new drivetrain. I currently have 171k miles on my 08 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I was looking at getting an upgraded 400hp crate engine from summit and then get a procharger running 6psi. roughly im looking at 550 to 600 hp at the crank if Prochargers numbers are right. I have gotten a trans priced out for a stage 2 at $3700 or a stage 3 at $4100. the stage 3 can handle 400 whp while the stage 3 is 600 whp. going with the 20% loss through powertrain i believe ill be making 400 to 450 whp with my setup which is just over the stage 2. i would love some opinions and experiences from ppl who have done this before. Maybe im putting too much money out and there is a better way. with this build its around $15k with everything. thanks in advance. BTW im mechanically inclined but dont have knowledge on trucks so im learning as i go. sorry if this seems noobish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been reading up on the ProCharger kit for mine also but I have found that if your going to go with a ProC on a stock 5.7 (2013 in my case) you should upgrade the heads first because the stock heads wont last long with it and with better heads you can put more PSI in it. Edelbrock (http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/cylinder-heads/chrysler/performer-rpm-hemi.shtml) makes Gen III heads for the 5.7 and are about $1,400 per head. Edelbrock also makes a supercharger kit ( http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/superchargers/dodge-truck.shtml) for about $7,400.00

Just one question SnakeJr. why don't you take your own tranny in and get it built for the HP you want to run.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My answer would be down time and cost. I figured to get mine rebuilt with everything I wouldn't be far off the cost of the prebuilt. Also I can get $1400 for the core so it's a pretty good deal.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
So im in the process of building my new drivetrain. I currently have 171k miles on my 08 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I was looking at getting an upgraded 400hp crate engine from summit and then get a procharger running 6psi. roughly im looking at 550 to 600 hp at the crank if Prochargers numbers are right. I have gotten a trans priced out for a stage 2 at $3700 or a stage 3 at $4100. the stage 3 can handle 400 whp while the stage 3 is 600 whp. going with the 20% loss through powertrain i believe ill be making 400 to 450 whp with my setup which is just over the stage 2. i would love some opinions and experiences from ppl who have done this before. Maybe im putting too much money out and there is a better way. with this build its around $15k with everything. thanks in advance. BTW im mechanically inclined but dont have knowledge on trucks so im learning as i go. sorry if this seems noobish.
Is that one of the ATK engines? Have heard mixed reviews about that company. As for trans, no one and I mean NO ONE has come up with a reliable RFE past 400whp. People making serious power either do stick, 518 or 4L80E swaps. The rest of us just keep spare low mileage junkyard transmissions on hand; it's cheaper lol.

I have been reading up on the ProCharger kit for mine also but I have found that if your going to go with a ProC on a stock 5.7 (2013 in my case) you should upgrade the heads first because the stock heads wont last long with it and with better heads you can put more PSI in it. Edelbrock (http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/cylinder-heads/chrysler/performer-rpm-hemi.shtml) makes Gen III heads for the 5.7 and are about $1,400 per head. Edelbrock also makes a supercharger kit ( http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/superchargers/dodge-truck.shtml) for about $7,400.00
Stock heads are fine with forced induction, especially if they're fresh/rebuilt ones. Those ones would be better of course. That blower kit won't work on an 08, it's designed to integrate into an eagle engine accessory drive (they're different). Instead of cheaping out on an engine and then slapping a blower on it, it needs to be purpose built from the ground up. Forged short block, low compression pistons, matching head and cam selection. Ultimately the weak link in this build will be the trans, then maybe the stock rear if it hasn't gone on you already.
If I were building a boost engine for that setup, I'd get the Procharger kit (bolt on), turn my stock block into a low compression forged 392 and slap eagle heads on it (or Thiteks/Edlebrocks/etc if I had money coming out of my ass lol). Probably roll with either an Edelbrock or 6.1 intake manifold because I don't trust plastic intakes at higher boost levels. Get a nice size intercooler to run down in the front bumper. Custom ground cam to match the setup and get it tuned, including the trans; any trans tune that locks out 2P in any way will help it live longer. A larger (get the OEM 1 ton hemi cooler) will help as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man that's a hell of a build. I wasnt looking into going that deep. It is the ATK engine. According to summit they would honor a warranty as long as I only ran 6 psi. As far as the 545rfe. Was that 400hp crank or wheel? I'll be just over 400whp so if that's the case I think I'll be fine. I'm not doing launches at the track. This will be my daily. I just wanted to spice it up because I love my truck and the mileage is getting high. I really didnt think 600hp crank was that much.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woooooow! I just looked into ATK and the reviews are horrible. I found over 3000 bad reviews spanning 13 years. I'll have to reconsider. Thank you so much for the heads up!

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's been almost a year and 10k miles since I procharged my truck and no issues with the stock 8 speed and it makes over 400rwhp. I don't bracket race my truck but I don't baby it either. Especially when some stinky ass diesel thinks they are going to "roll coal" on me and get away with it!

·
Registered
333 Posts
No, it's what Thunderhorse said. Although it is a different trans my point is that it's stock and it has been good so far. Had a problem yesterday but I'm pretty sure it is not mechanical. Good luck with your build!

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
No, it's what Thunderhorse said. Although it is a different trans my point is that it's stock and it has been good so far. Had a problem yesterday but I'm pretty sure it is not mechanical. Good luck with your build!

The 8HP is a much stronger transmission than the RFE, its rated to 106 lb-ft more (516 lb-ft vs 410 for the RFE). The weak point on the RFE is really the kickdown 2nd gear, that's what usually goes first when it dies.

Another option if you're going standalone (like a 4L80) is a 727; gen 3 Hemis have the same bellhousing pattern as an LA smalblock, you'd just leave out the top bolt. There are a couple of companies making flexplates to support the swap

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Yeah but that ZF is a much better trans

The 8HP is a much stronger transmission than the RFE, its rated to 106 lb-ft more (516 lb-ft vs 410 for the RFE). The weak point on the RFE is really the kickdown 2nd gear, that's what usually goes first when it dies.

Another option if you're going standalone (like a 4L80) is a 727; gen 3 Hemis have the same bellhousing pattern as an LA smalblock, you'd just leave out the top bolt. There are a couple of companies making flexplates to support the swap
Or a 518, a 727 with an OD gear

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
ATK engines are sketchy at best.......I have one in my daily since it was really cheap and I didn't want to have the downtime from the machine shop but I will say in comparison it sucks. Ballance doesn't exist and the head gasket failed in under 10k miles, freaking annoying if you ask me. In comparison my usual machine guy did another 4.0 for a jeep in the shop that needed one and it is in all ways superior.

As far as trans are concerned you can always throw a 727 behind it......those will hold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts