DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
Looking for a little help and information.

I have a 2008 1500 with a 545rfe and I have never had a shifting issue with this truck.

I drove it last week about 7 hours round trip with my hunting boat behind the truck. Not a single issue.

I left the truck sit for about a week and a half once I got home from hunting and I hopped into it to head up to the store and it will not shift out of 1st gear.

No codes, the only issue I have is once it comes time to shift my fueling is cut and the truck wont accelerate.

Any input will be appreciated. I have another hunting trip coming up and I don't really want to rebuild this thing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
How does it behave if you put in 1 then try to shift to 2?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah I tried that also. I tried to put it in second on the shift column and it would not shift either.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I got home today and went to start my truck and it was completely dead. Dash lights would barely come on. Battery had 8.5v.

Charged my battery and took the truck out and shifted without an issue. I didn't get above second gear but that's better than I had.

Think my issue could be related?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I suspect your issue is outside the trans somewhere, especially if it worked great up until now, and you have no CEL and no codes.

How is your shifter set up? Do you have PRND21 or just PRND? Do you have Electronic Range Select (ERS) switches (for manual downshifting)? Does your dash display show "D" or "1"?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have PRND21 and I do not have switches for manual shifting.

I put a good charge on the battery and took the truck out again last night and it shifted with no issues.

I have a hunting trip coming up on November 5th so i'm trying to make sure I can trust my truck.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Well, I don't know why a low/bad battery would cause the issue you had, but if it's running OK now, then I wouldn't worry a whole lot about it. If it does happen again, note whether the dash is showing "D" or not. Also, note whether the speedo is working, and then stop at a parts store and have them check the PCM fault codes for you.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dash doesn't display what gear the trans is in. just has the circle around the "D".
Also my speedo was working when this was happening.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts