DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old truck had a 6 & 1/2 ft bed. Went to load my snowmobile in the bed of my 2010 CC and the dam thing hangs off my tailgate like a foot. Why even make a 5.7 bed it's a dam truck. It should be at least 6.5 or 8 feet regardless of the 4dr configuration. Anyone else agree?
End rant!

Anyone know what tailgate support cables are rated at?? LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Preach on brother! Thats why i got the QC tho. I love the back seat space of the CC, but i needed something that my sport bikes could fit into. And even then, i can only fit 1 bike back there because i have to kick it off to the side so i can close the tailgate. The CC bed just looks so tiny...

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think ford is the only one you can get a CC with a 6.5ft bed in a 1/2 ton. Step it up to a 3/4 ton and you can get a CC 6.5ft bed ram

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
My old truck had a 6 & 1/2 ft bed. Went to load my snowmobile in the bed of my 2010 CC and the dam thing hangs off my tailgate like a foot. Why even make a 5.7 bed it's a dam truck. It should be at least 6.5 or 8 feet regardless of the 4dr configuration. Anyone else agree?
End rant!

The tailgate cables are rated at 1500 lbs. I have had 1500lbs of sandbags sitting on my tailgate (dont ask :LOL:) and they held fine...so at least MINE are rated that high ;)

As far as the 5'7" bed, Chrysler spends millions on market research, and in todays market, interior space is valued higher by consumers than cargo space, even among truck buyers apparently.

If you had a CC with a 6.5 bed, I would bet money you could drive it every day...I know I could...but I wouldnt want to. My Q/C with 6.5 bed is long enough as it is, and is a pain in some (ok most) parking lots. I dont even want to try to drive a truck with an extra foot on it in some of the places I have to go. Hell, I barely fit in the parking lot at work now. I don't have children, and use the backseat for my dog mostly, so the larger bed over the crew cab was a no brainer. I just wish I could get a RamBox in the 6.5" bed.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
The truck would be MASSIVE if it had a CC and the longer bed. That's why I got the qc, I'd rather have more bed room than back seat room. The quad cab is plenty for me and rarely gets used. It's really nice to have though. The quad cab/medium size bed really makes it an all around vehicle. My truck seems too long as it is sometimes, depending on parking space size and things like that...

I can shut the tailgate with my buell in the bed :) it's a match made in heaven (short wheelbase bike with huge truck :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
i dont like it either and did not even know when i bought it that it was not 6.5. My fault. But so far has not been a problem for me.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Did you not have a tape measure when you bought the truck?
LOL, funny you mention that. That was one of the first things I did. I measured all my street bikes and realized with the 5'7" bed the center of my rear axle would be about 6" out onto the tailgate. I was happy with that. I knew those tailgate straps could handle a lot of weight. At least now the tailgate won't bounce up and down seeing some weight from the bike will be on it.

I've got a 2 place enclosed trailer for my snowmobiles so no problems there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I honestly prefer my interior space over the bed size. That's why I went with the CC. The bed is just enough for my sport bike and/or carrying odds and ends :smileup:

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
I can put a long track Polaris RMK 1200 in my bed, and the track only hangs off 3-6 inches.

You will be fine with the 5'7" bed, will just hang off a bit more.

Yes, my sled is 7' long. :LOL: Its FAST too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
End rant!

You will be more than fine as probably 75-80% of the weight of a sled is up front...all you have hangin off the back is a bit of track, suspension & seat...minimal!

I haul sleds all the time & when it was time to buy, interior space was more important to me that box length...in my crew cab I can comfortably seat 4 adults for sledding excursions or golf outings.

Also...that's why they make trailers :smileup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have carried 12 ft lengths of lumber in my 5'7" bed with no issues. Just a flag on it and some tie down straps in the bed. It does everything I want it to no problem. Maybe a bed extender that goes into the trailer hitch receiver would be an option for carrying a snowmobile??

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Dodge heard many of you, there are making longer beds for those that want them
even beds with Ram Boxes

Personally i live in a metropolitan area, the parking spots are too short & too narrow, even the spots well away from the businesses are still too short, but i just take 2 spots, when they are narrow, it also saves my paint, because i park at an angle

Here is the answer to having to drive with a load on your tailgate
Look at the device, not the shorts :)

http://www.dgmtailgatesupport.com/

·
Registered
168 Posts
even beds with Ram Boxes

Personally i live in a metropolitan area, the parking spots are too short & too narrow, even the spots well away from the businesses are still too short, but i just take 2 spots, when they are narrow, it also saves my paint, because i park at an angle

Thats a pretty good idea.....and it looks like that girl looks, very simple and easy 8)

·
Registered
390 Posts
The shorter bed of the CC made my girlfriend happy when the thought of driving it crossed her mind. She HATED driving my 96 Ram regular cab long bed, little does she know, the CC truck is actually a couple inches longer. Shhhh, LOL.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you not have a tape measure when you bought the truck?
No it didnt even cross my mind. It was the only affordable truck on the lot. Took it for a ride and fell in love.

The truck would be MASSIVE if it had a CC and the longer bed. That's why I got the qc, I'd rather have more bed room than back seat room. The quad cab is plenty for me and rarely gets used. It's really nice to have though. The quad cab/medium size bed really makes it an all around vehicle. My truck seems too long as it is sometimes, depending on parking space size and things like that...

I can shut the tailgate with my buell in the bed :) it's a match made in heaven (short wheelbase bike with huge truck :)
Overall length is not a big deal to me, bigger is better ask my girl... :LOL: I knew the back seat was bigger than my 04 QC but didnt think much of it. My Gixxer wouldnt fit sideways in my old truck either.

LOL, funny you mention that. That was one of the first things I did. I measured all my street bikes and realized with the 5'7" bed the center of my rear axle would be about 6" out onto the tailgate. I was happy with that. I knew those tailgate straps could handle a lot of weight. At least now the tailgate won't bounce up and down seeing some weight from the bike will be on it.

I've got a 2 place enclosed trailer for my snowmobiles so no problems there.
I have a sled trailer but there is no room at camp. My friends are already up there with a 4 place so I'm stuck with the sled in the bed for this trip.

You will be more than fine as probably 75-80% of the weight of a sled is up front...all you have hangin off the back is a bit of track, suspension & seat...minimal!

I haul sleds all the time & when it was time to buy, interior space was more important to me that box length...in my crew cab I can comfortably seat 4 adults for sledding excursions or golf outings.

Also...that's why they make trailers :smileup:
Yea I really like the big back seat area, so does the kid.

even beds with Ram Boxes

Shit there were parts in that add?? You were right all I saw was shorts. :Wow1: Needs a half shirt to match. :wow:

Got it strapped up real good so should be all set. I can't imagine 3 different bed sizes is cost effective for Dodge, who knows.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You'll be fine with the sled in the back. I worked on a guys Polaris here at my house and he hauled it in the back of an Avalanche!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thats exactly why I got the QC. The 5'7 bed is not long enough. I bought a truck to have a bed, if I wanted more interior room I'd buy a car. Plus I think the CC looks a little funny and not proportional

·
Registered
206 Posts
I chose the QC because of my dislike for the shorter bed, I use the bed for work and more space is always better to have when hauling. Aside from the needed space, the QC looks better to me proportionally than the CC. The CC with its longer doors and shorter bed messes with the balance of the vehicle when viewed from the side. Its too much cab with a tiny bed, reminds me of the ugly CC Tundras, never cared for the Cab-forward design though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dude! I have a sled with a 162 track. That makes my sled 11 feet long!!!! It fits on no prob, Hangs off like 3 feet. I can jump on the rear of the sled and nothing moves. All the weight is forward and it'll be fine. I even measured the sag in the rear of the truck without the sled and with. My sled weighs in at about 630lbs all gassed up and ready, It only sags 1.75 inches. I was pretty impressed my truck didn't look like it was squatting to take a pee in my driveway. +1 Truck Norris.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts