DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased 2012 ram and read in manual to use 5w20 oil and 8000 miles on changes. There was no chart for different uses or regions. Just have a hard time going with that grade of oil. I had a 2003 ram before this truck and used 10w40. Just curious what other people think.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yes use 5w20. It won't harm anything and you are supposed to run that weight with MDS. Most newer engines are built to tighter specs and don't require thicker oil.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^yep. My 4.7L also uses it. My wife's aveo uses 5w30 IIRC but it's an 04 or 05. My Buell uses 20w50....huh? LOL

·
Registered
217 Posts
So can I turn off the MDS by putting in 10W30?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just got a great deal on 5W 20 from Walmart. 5 LTS Full Synthetic $25.....

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
When it comes to oil I stick to the book and don't mess around. If it comes from the factory running like a champ on 5w-20 then I am going to change it with 5w-20.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
I'm reading that SAE says that 5w20 is good for short term use in order for the manufacturers to make CAFE. But that your motor will wear out faster by using it because it is so thin. Anyone running over 100,000 mi on 5w20? I'm concerned.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Actually, if both are not synthetic, 5w20 is better for your engine than 10w40 is. If synthetic, either one is good, but you need to use what is recommended in the owners manuel. I personally wouldn't go with 8,000 mile oil changes, prefer 4,000 myself with regular dino oil. Have put over 200,000 miles on 3 different vehicles using regular dino with no motor problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm reading that SAE says that 5w20 is good for short term use in order for the manufacturers to make CAFE. But that your motor will wear out faster by using it because it is so thin. Anyone running over 100,000 mi on 5w20? I'm concerned.
That's abunch of BS... Run the 5w-20... I have had several vehicles over 200k on 5w-20 and no issuses....
Actually, if both are not synthetic, 5w20 is better for your engine than 10w40 is. If synthetic, either one is good, but you need to use what is recommended in the owners manuel. I personally wouldn't go with 8,000 mile oil changes, prefer 4,000 myself with regular dino oil. Have put over 200,000 miles on 3 different vehicles using regular dino with no motor problems.
How you figure this? vesicosity is vesicosity... Whether it's synthetic or not...

Run 5w-20 in dino or synthetic and it will be fine...

·
Registered
59 Posts
All motor oils are so good now that it really doesn't matter what you use. These engines run at such low rpm most of the time that you could use cooking oil in them, lol. Just use any major brand name oil- synthetic if you want to get slightly better fuel economy, and you will be good for 300,000 miles. If you use synthetic, 8000 miles is no problem at all. I have a friend who is a maintenance manager at one of UPS's facilities and he has access to oil testing labs. He ran mobil 1 in his chevy truck for 10,000 miles and then sent a sample for testing. It came back not even 1/2 "used". He finally changed it at 15,000 just because he was getting OCD about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ran 5w20 in my '05 Durango - 5.7 Hemi. At 200k KM (125k miles or so) it was still running strong. New School Motor = New School Oil....they don't make 'em like they used to! They make 'em better! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
2 Posts
type of oil for 2012 ram 1500

Hey there folks ,to my knowledge you are not to put in full synthetic if it runs on standard oil.This is per "Dodge".

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Just purchased 2012 ram and read in manual to use 5w20 oil and 8000 miles on changes. There was no chart for different uses or regions. Just have a hard time going with that grade of oil. I had a 2003 ram before this truck and used 10w40. Just curious what other people think.
I asked a Chrysler master tech the same thing and he said the newer engines are built so tight you do Not want to put a thicker oil. 5w20 ONLY was made very clear :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
22 Posts
The specs are too tight to use a thicker oil. I use Royal Purple 5W-20 and a Royal Purple filter and change at 10k unless I've been towing my trailer with my RZR and my daughter's four wheeler a lot, then I change at 8k.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts