DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Subscribed...is it coming from engine bay for sure? Sounds like it must be. It may just need a belt adjustment, a new belt. One alternator or two?

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Odd...my 5.7 is currently being replaced with only 900 miles on it because it sounds like a weed whacker string spinning and they couldn't figure it out. (replaced alternator, oil pump, and timing gear with no luck) Obviously they're different motors and different sounds, but I would have it checked by the dealer.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Odd...my 5.7 is currently being replaced with only 900 miles on it because it sounds like a weed whacker string spinning and they couldn't figure it out. (replaced alternator, oil pump, and timing gear with no luck) Obviously they're different motors and different sounds, but I would have it checked by the dealer.
The engine or entire truck being replaced? Wow! Crazy they can't figure it out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll subscribe to this one too. Mine squeaks loudly too upon first startup of the morning until something gets a little warmed up or lubricated. I'll put it in gear and the squeaking becomes less prominent. Either it begins getting lubricated when put in gear for the first time or something puts a load on whatever the heck is squeaking.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The engine or entire truck being replaced? Wow! Crazy they can't figure it out.
The engine is being replaced, there wasn't anything similar to my truck on the lot, so I chose to let them just replce the motor with a fresh crate motor.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Add mine to the list. It has been this way since new. A little over 3000 miles on it now. It is the loudest when I put it into gear when it is cold, which makes it hard for me to diagnose because I really don't want to be crawling on and under it when it is in gear. It hasn't gotten better or worse and doesn't seem to be a major problem. More of an annoyance than anything.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My pickup does the same thing, really bad at startup and first putting it into gear. Does it until warm then is get quieter... Mine is louder under the drivers side then it is if you pop the hood.... Mine also didn't do it until it seemed like I have a few hundred miles on it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Any connection to alternators...those with one or two? I have two, and no noise yet...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't think so.... I have one alternator but its seems to be louder under the truck than in front under the hood.......

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have dual alternators and definitely have the squeal. It seems to have gotten worse with time. 10,000 miles so far. It is definitely most noticeable at idle when cold. I had the truck parked for 1 month during the winter and the squeal was extreme on the first cold morning start after that. I haven't done anything about it yet, but hopefully we can get this diagnosed and solved.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Anyone talked to a dealership about this issue???? I thought it was just the hemi tick but it seemed pretty loud for a lifter tick.. But now I see its not so..... Sometime will try and chase it down a little more.....

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a single alternator.

I have not spoken with a dealer yet about it. By the time I am at the dealer, there is no problem to demonstrate. I do not want to leave it overnight just to hear "no problem found, it is normal" the next day and no way for me to disprove it because it will be warm again by then. I would like to narrow it down, if not fix it, myself first but I haven't had a chance to do it yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a single alternator.

I have not spoken with a dealer yet about it. By the time I am at the dealer, there is no problem to demonstrate. I do not want to leave it overnight just to hear "no problem found, it is normal" the next day and no way for me to disprove it because it will be warm again by then. I would like to narrow it down, if not fix it, myself first but I haven't had a chance to do it yet.
I'm taking mine in this evening so they can start it up first thing in the morning to hear it. Besides the annoying squeaking, service techs are going to upload the latest and greatest TPMS programming that just became available and any other transmission/engine tuning updates. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping this doesn't turn into a duel of "that is normal, just live with it" contest. :i_rolleyes::duel:

·
Registered
45 Posts
So before I take my truck to the dealer this evening, I wanted to have a better idea of where the squeaking might be coming from. So at lunch I pressed the emergency brake down, crawled under the truck, and used the remote start to start the vehicle. No squeaking from the engine compartment...it just purrs quietly. However, the loud squeak was coming from directly under the front doors each side. Scooted my way down and I believe the squeak is coming from a downward bend on the exhaust pipe. There is a sensor just above the bend. The bend is wrapped with some thin, gold/copper colored metal resembling tin foil (heatshield?). As the exhaust warmed up the squeaking went away. Laying underneath centerline of the vehicle I could hear it on both sides, with the driver's side the loudest. Didn't have much more time to tinker. Any ideas??

·
Registered
31 Posts
So before I take my truck to the dealer this evening, I wanted to have a better idea of where the squeaking might be coming from. So at lunch I pressed the emergency brake down, crawled under the truck, and used the remote start to start the vehicle. No squeaking from the engine compartment...it just purrs quietly. However, the loud squeak was coming from directly under the front doors each side. Scooted my way down and I believe the squeak is coming from a downward bend on the exhaust pipe. There is a sensor just above the bend. The bend is wrapped with some thin, gold/copper colored metal resembling tin foil (heatshield?). As the exhaust warmed up the squeaking went away. Laying underneath centerline of the vehicle I could hear it on both sides, with the driver's side the loudest. Didn't have much more time to tinker. Any ideas??
Mine squeaks a bit, thought it was the belt, but I'll check for under the cab noise in the exhaust and report back

1 - 20 of 159 Posts