DODGE RAM FORUM banner

121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
JMD, Your sound is the exact sound I'm experiencing. Now the service folks at my local dodge dealer are misleading the ramcare gal as well saying they fixed the cold start squeal. Next week I'm gonna take it to an independant shop and see if they have any ideas. I'd love Dodge to pay for the diagnostics but I'm sure they won't. I stated above that my coworker had bought a 2017 PW that didn't have the noise but the other day I had him start it for me and voila, the noise is there. Not near as loud as mine but it's definately there. Mine is just about as loud as yours brother. Do we know anyone that truly doesn't have this noise? I've looked at some videos of Challengers with the 6.4 and the factory ones seem to have it while one's with the aftermarket flowmaster exhausts do not. At least I can't hear it. here's a link to the factory challenger.
I believe i can hear it but it's quieter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFC5UVrkjIE

I realize that this is probably a apples to oranges comparison but I think it shows that the 6.4 doesn't have to sound like this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Now I've been listening to other videos of PW's with magnaflow and flowmaster exhausts and I can't hear the noise on any of them. could be it's now too damn loud to hear it, or could be the engine is warmed up when the video is shot or could be the problem is in the exhausts? Anyone tried an aftermarket exhaust?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tough to hear if the Scatpack had the squeal. I have a friend that has a 14PW and one who has a 15 Big Horn 2500. Both claim they don't have the problem. I have not heard them cold start them myself but they were surprised when they heard mine. I need to start taking mine to every dealer I can find and build my case for the lemon law.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
FWIW the Truck 6.4 in the heavy duty Rams and the Apache 6.4 in the Challenger/Charger/Durango/Grand Cherokee are not the same engine so I am not sure how valuable it is to look into those for the squeal. Its not like the 5.7 where the cam, tune, and intakes are the only differences

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Worse when put in gear but lessens with some throttle. Mine never goes away completely though. I think road and wind noise just drowns it out. When I come home from work after a 38 mile drive, I start to pull a decent hill. It is somewhat narrow with guardrail and close trees. I can hear it then despite being at normal operating temperature.

Has anybody done a complete exhaust system swap out, headers & all and seen any difference? The relationship of cold/hot and load/no-load could point to exhaust but I'm just grasping at straws and hoping someone can at least pinpoint it.

If its just a "characteristic of the vehicle" why do some have it and some don't? I don't remember seeing "gawd-awful squeal" in the list of options.

I posted my vids on youtube. Search for 2016 Ram 2500 6.4L squeal. Let me know if its the same you are experiencing. There are 4 vids.

Same exact noise, same switch from in gear and not in gear. dealership again mentioned that it might be piston knock and that the fuel trim isn't accurate until its warmed up. One pebble of discussion trashed his argument.

how do you win lemon law when they say it is normal?? or how do you het them to take it back?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm at the end of the road with Chrysler. Two trips in to the dealer, zero parts replaced. "Normal", "Working as designed". They've closed my case. Nothing to repair they state. Now I have two decisions to make. Keep the truck and either live with the noise or try to figure it out on my own, or try to get them to just take the truck back (which I'm fairly certain will be slightly less productive than taking a pee into a Hurricane). I've been assured that having an independant shop try to diagnose the issue will NOT void my lifetime warranty but if they attempt repairs it will. I'm also told that dodge will not accept the diagnosis of an independant shop wether they be right or wrong. So...with the lifetime warranty I'm probably gonna run her till she drops several times over. I kept my last truck 16 years. I plan on keeping this one till I die and using the crap out of that warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm at the end of the road with Chrysler. Two trips in to the dealer, zero parts replaced. "Normal", "Working as designed". They've closed my case. Nothing to repair they state. Now I have two decisions to make. Keep the truck and either live with the noise or try to figure it out on my own, or try to get them to just take the truck back (which I'm fairly certain will be slightly less productive than taking a pee into a Hurricane). I've been assured that having an independant shop try to diagnose the issue will NOT void my lifetime warranty but if they attempt repairs it will. I'm also told that dodge will not accept the diagnosis of an independant shop wether they be right or wrong. So...with the lifetime warranty I'm probably gonna run her till she drops several times over. I kept my last truck 16 years. I plan on keeping this one till I die and using the crap out of that warranty.

Same here, dealer made a star case and within 4 hours the "supervisor" at Chrysler care called and said they were closing all cases it because its normal.

Dealership claims that's all they can do and because we made so many waves Chrysler now has to approve allllll repairs that may need to be made in the future after the dealership diagnoses it.

NO idea what it can be, dealership director says he thinks it is ignition knock reverberating through the exhaust and that's that. Says all trucks have it.....

Garbage, steer clear of Chrysler products.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a brand new 08 f150 with a 5.4 that sounded like a train whistle when cold. Ford tried to use a plastic pulley on the front of the motor. Was later recalled and fixed. Could be something to look at on the hemi. My 6.4 is not making this noise yet. Sounds like a lot of you folks need to find better dealers.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I just listened to the youtube clips. - either they weren't the greatest clips or some of you must have much worse of a noise.

To me it sounds like many vehicles do for the most part.
To promote fast warmup of the motor and esp. the cats for proper emissions operations, many if not all modern engines promote spark knock and igniting of fuel in the exhaust for the first few minutes.

Some just sound different than others and while the squeak is a bit odd, the tinny sound in the exhaust isn't.
My wife's Mazda 3 has the same odd noise on cold start - it actually sounds a bit worse because it is a deeper vs. tinny sound.
My old 2014 Ford Focus also had the funny cold exhaust sound - but the engine would literally be up to operating temp within 1/2-1 mile. Nice on a cold day.

Now I haven't heard any 6.4 in person and if my 5.7 makes a similar noise I haven't noticed it or been annoyed by it. My 1500 5.7 does sound different at cold start but it is what it is and I know why it is like that. And my exhaust is much quieter than any of those youtube clips - stock single is much quieter than stock duals.

On the plus side, I have heat available inside much quicker than my old truck.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
To promote fast warmup of the motor and esp. the cats for proper emissions operations, many if not all modern engines promote spark knock and igniting of fuel in the exhaust for the first few minutes.
:4-dontknow:

Never heard that one before

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Some also retard the timing on cold, the PCM can do amazing things.

I think if the pipes weren't so large of a diameter and thin stainless, you probably wouldn't hear much.
Even on my 5.7 the pipes are fairly thin and not nearly as good at sound deadening as the pipes of days gone by.

Similar to headers vs. cast manifolds - with a quiet exhaust you can hear a significant difference between the two.

·
Registered
10 Posts

AKRogbo - SO sorry to hear you got nowhere. I'm stuck with this truck for a very long time to come and am not willing to cut my losses and trade it in. I don't understand Chrysler's definition of "normal". If it were normal, EVERY Ram with the 6.4L would have the same problem. If that were the case, there'd be a lot more people complaining - like every Ram owner. It appears we are the unlucky few with this problem. I have not had the time to take mine to another dealer - there are many in my area and I intend to visit them all. If no resolution, I may contact my local TV station who has a consumer advocate in their broadcast team. Perhaps stirring up some bad press will make Chrysler address this abnormality.

And to comment that it may be just a "warming up" issue, I can still hear mine when I pull the hill to my house after my 38 mile ride home from work. It is faint, but it is still there. If I can figure out how to safely mount a microphone under there I will try to record it.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I wonder if it is just the way your one piece Y pipe is made/welded - maybe just not formed correctly.

One person says his noise went away after replacing the crimped Y with an aftermarket Y. Which would eliminate that crimped joined area and take any stress off of the rest of both pipes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 6.4L with the same problem as you. Dealer says it's normal. I used to live in Denver but recently moved to Virginia.
I don't know where you are at know with a solution, but Tom Martino, the Troubleshooter radio show has lots of success with helping customers solving auto problems and he will have mechanices check out your Ram and take the dealers to task.
You ought to give him a try. If I was still in Denver, I would. Please let me know what happens with your problem.
Thanks
Steve
[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue here since day one...2017 power wagon. first visit to the dealership the could not replicate... second visit coming soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
JAIE, did you leave it sit at the dealership overnight and take the keys with? Make sure you are there and it is cold when they start it. Otherwise they will never admit to replicating the noise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
squeking on start up

I'll subscribe to this one too. Mine squeaks loudly too upon first startup of the morning until something gets a little warmed up or lubricated. I'll put it in gear and the squeaking becomes less prominent. Either it begins getting lubricated when put in gear for the first time or something puts a load on whatever the heck is squeaking.
Mine has done it twice when its below 20 degrees, the colder it is, the louder, but only lasts about 2 seconds ! ?????? LOUDEST WAS AT 1 DEGREE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Though mine went away on its own. Oh, wait, its winter and my windows are up all the time. Still making the squeal on start. Have not been able to investigate further. No new posts for a while so it seems like everyone has given up like me. Anybody make any discoveries?

121 - 140 of 159 Posts