DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 2014 Mega Cab with the 6.4 liter engine. No sales literature available at that dealer at time of order. Earlier this week I had access to the 2014 Ram sales brochure. On p.44 listing the 2500 / 3500 standard and optional equipment per model, the 6.4 liter is shown with the advertised h.p. (410) and torque (429) followed by "(367 hp Mega Cab)". That is less horse power than the standard 5.7 liter.

I called the salesman: he can't get answer from Ram. I called Chrysler customer service: she will check with engineering and call back. She hasn't.

Can someone explain this note to me and why there would be a 43 hp reduction on a Mega Cab? They offer the Mega Cab with diesel engines. What's up? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
813 Posts
The 2014 brochure is available for download on the Ram site and sure enough it does state that. Very odd and makes no sense. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gulp!!!! Being that I have one on order.......I'm now rather curious myself! I hope I didn't drop the ball on that one. I can't imagine why there would be that big of a drop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I ordered a 2500. I did here back from the salesman yesterday. His email also indicated the reduction in H.P. was for the 3500 only. Something to do with a Pass By Noise test.

The email contains info that the test was run at a lower rpm (?), hence lower HP to qualify the 3500. Not sure I understand all that.

The email also indicated the note in the sales brochure should have mentioned the H.P. reduction to the 3500 only, but the note does not.

Believe the salesman was just passing info on that he was given. Not sure I understand how a 3500 would have an exhaust system much different than a 2500 using the same engine.

I usually don't pay much attention to H.P. ratings. Am more interested in torque and the rpm that it is developed. Thank you all for the responses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts