DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey is anyone running the hemi fever tune on there truck and how do you like it. Any mpg improvement and does it help the shift points. Also what tune are you running mpg booster or 87 performance. Any insight would be great

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm running the HF 93 tune and the trans tuning is terrific. Probably the best part of the tune. I haven't seen any noticeable mileage improvement but in fairness the truck is leveled with 35x12.5 tires. None of which is helping the mileage any and I never tried to reinstall the stock tune to verify.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm running the HF 93 tune and the trans tuning is terrific. Probably the best part of the tune. I haven't seen any noticeable mileage improvement but in fairness the truck is leveled with 35x12.5 tires. None of which is helping the mileage any and I never tried to reinstall the stock tune to verify.
Hit Sean up, he has some new updates for our tunes. I installed the updated 87 Octane NO MDS tune and it's awesome!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hit Sean up, he has some new updates for our tunes. I installed the updated 87 Octane NO MDS tune and it's awesome!

Thanks, will do that.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
HF 92 with custom shift points on mine. Sean did a great job with the overall tune and the shifting is superb. He recently sent me an update to cover some CROM file upgrades provided to him by Diablosport.

Mileage improvement was small and I have yet to take a road trip with the new tune installed and without having to use winter blend fuel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So when you buy a tunner with the hemifever tuneing on it do you get the tune for all power levels or just one and the you have to pay for every tune. Example mileage, 87,91,93

·
Registered
216 Posts
So when you buy a tunner with the hemifever tuneing on it do you get the tune for all power levels or just one and the you have to pay for every tune. Example mileage, 87,91,93

You get a tune for each power level, plus whatever else you specifically ask for. Typically they only charge extra if you need a tune for sometime very specific like a cam change or FI.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hows the torque increase?

You can notice a difference throughout the curve, but it's still a Hemi and likes to make its power up top. I installed a 2600rpm Edge converter which made a huge difference getting the truck off the line. One of my favorite mods. Obviously this doesn't help much towing or hauling, but definitely makes the truck much more enjoyable to drive.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hemifever is just the name of a popular tuner for the Hemi motors. He does a lot of tuning with the Diablosport stuff.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The 87 performance tune never did anything for my 6.4L HEMI. I couldn't tell I had a tune on the truck.

And I have to say that the 92 canned performance tune was felt but it still wasn't optimum.

When HF does a tune for your truck it is based on performance logs taken from your truck. That's why the custom tunes work so well. You can get a programmer and tunes as a package.

One thing many folks think happens with tuners is that you get this gazillion HP and torque lb/ft increase. Well, you don't. What you get is an increase in HP and torque that comes on lower in the RPM band and is sustained all the way to the shift points.

A good tune will optimize WOT shift points (HF does a good job on this), it optimizes the air/fuel ratio to remove a lean or rich condition - which can help with mileage - so you aren't burning valves or constantly in a knock retard situation and losing power or adding too much carbon to the combustion chamber which carbons up plugs, you can turn off MDS if you want, and it will firm up the shifts, reducing slip and that helps with lowering heat in the transmission.

The throttle boost settings are a nice touch. It definitely helps with throttle response off idle or for a kickdown on the highway. You don't have to wait for it, that's for sure.

All in all I've always considered a tuner one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hemifever tune 2014 6.4 2500

I got my Hemifever 91 tune back in 2/15 it runs good. I have not sent back a log yet. I plan on doing a log this weekend send it back to Sean and see what updates he has.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have only had my 2500 for a month now and a tune is the first item I want to purchase where are you guys getting the tuners from. Thanks

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have only had my 2500 for a month now and a tune is the first item I want to purchase where are you guys getting the tuners from. Thanks

You'll need the tuner and an unlocked PCM. HF has a deal going with a tuner, unlocked PCM, custom tune and either a core exchange for a reduced price or you keep your stock PCM to swap back into the truck when going in for service.

Get in touch with Hemifever for specifics. You can't go wrong having Sean do the deal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What does it do for shifting on the 66rfe behind the 6.4? firmer shifts"? quicker? less throttle input before downshift ECT? I'm thinking I may throw one at it and see if it resolves my "issue". I came out of a CTD and understand the HP gains are minimal what I'm really after is drivability. Why they want a 7k lbs truck to shift like a Jetta is beyond me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
17 Participants
daveski
DODGE RAM FORUM
We’re the ultimate Dodge RAM forum to talk about the RAM 1500, 2500 and 3500 including the Cummins powered models.
Full Forum Listing