DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has less than 2000 miles on it. When I am driving at low speeds (35 or under) my trucks hesitates like the transmission is in too high of a gear (chugging). The problem is far worse when cold and/or going up a hill at low speeds. Is this typical? Not sure if it's a break in thing or an imminent trip to the dealer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
My truck has less than 2000 miles on it. When I am driving at low speeds (35 or under) my trucks hesitates like the transmission is in too high of a gear (chugging). The problem is far worse when cold and/or going up a hill at low speeds. Is this typical? Not sure if it's a break in thing or an imminent trip to the dealer.

Thanks!
This is a characteristic of the programming for fuel economy. The hesitation, chugging, vibration you may feel is the MDS, multidisplacement system kicking on an off. To make it feel better in town, just hit the gear selector down once to stop MDS from coming on. This will still shift the trans to hits highest gear but keep the chugging to a minimum. Also, some have even gone far to use tow/haul mode every day around town to help drivability. This is just an unfortunate downside of conservative programming and meeting emissions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick update! It's concerning that even with the MDS system, I'm still only getting 10 mpg in the city. My ford F250 I drive for work gets 60% better fuel economy in the city- albeit with only 2 wheel drive and no backseat. It still feels like a disparaging gap to other 3/4 ton trucks I have driven. The ride is incomparable though, the best ride for a 3/4 ton by any other manufacturer in my opinion - I love the coils!!

·
Super Moderator
34,461 Posts
Your economy should go up in the next 6000 miles or so. Let it break in

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yea the MPG isnt great, these guys are right though in letting it break in further. MPG and power should go up, somewhere there's an article talking about this on a magazine test vehicle.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Mine did that in full auto until I put a programmer on it. Then the kickdown happened a lot quicker and it didn't lug at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I couldn't take the chugging and hesitation any longer. I took it to the dealership and they found a bad solenoid (part# 08059043). Truck shifts great now with no chugging or hesitation, exactly how I would expect a truck of this caliber to operate. For some reason they also replaced the EGR valve, not sure if that had anything to do with the initial problem or not. The dealership experience was a fiasco but I will work that out with the GM later this week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
my truck hesitates like this...never knows which gear to be in, and it feels like every gear has its own OD...it will show 4th gear, I will hit the gas, it will "downshift" (or so it feels) and then it picks up, but its still in 4th??? then when I click down to 3rd, the rpms *might* go up 150-200rpm. If it was a true 4th to 3rd gear change it would raise the rpms much more than that right? It the strangest thing. it feels like a gear within a gear. maybe some slippage??

·
Registered
103 Posts
best of luck , mine has 10000 on it and still only gets 12mph at the best. I ended up getting a pedal commander and it has helped a lot with the shifting issues and sluggish feelings. It is a shame with the money we spend on these trucks that Ram won't listen to the customer and address these issues correctly and not just with a "its normal they all do it" response.

·
Registered
354 Posts
This hesitation you're describing, does it primarily happen when you are feathering the throttle to maintain speed and feels like a slight stutter in the transmission? I noticed this recently and wasn't sure what it was. I was initially thinking the the computer was trying to relearn the driving style since I've been playing around with the new Pedal Commander.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts