DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my truck for a week now and today I noticed something disturbing. I started my truck and I noticed some smoke from the tail pipe. It was a nice spring day. About 64 degrees. I'm sure it was smoke, not steam. Later, I remote started it after it had been sitting for about 30 minutes. This time, it knocked for about 3 seconds and it also blew a small puff of blue smoke. The truck has about 430 miles on it. does anybody have any insight about what might cause this problem? it makes plenty of power. After it's been started, there's no smoke or noise. I'm moving in about 4 weeks and I really need my truck. Is it safe to drive like this? Also, I checked my oil and it appears to be over full. It's hard to tell how much, but the oil level is well above the line. The oil looks clean, not milky and I can't see any metal flakes. I'll take it to the dealer and let them take a look, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Sounds like too much oil to me. You may also have a leaky injector that is puddling fuel in one cylinder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went out and started it again using the remote start. no smoke and no knocking. intermittent problems suck because I'm sure nothing will be wrong when I take it to the dealer. I'm going to get the oil changed tomorrow with a high quality synthetic. at least I'll know that the oil that's in is correct and the correct amount. Thanks Shiftjocky.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Good luck with the oil change!

I know what you mean about intermittent problems. They suck for the owners and the service departments.

·
Super Moderator
34,702 Posts
I'd start with valves if I had blue smoke, but I hate to think a new engine would have a problem with them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My did the same thing one time after I bought it. Kinda freaked out. But it never did it again and the engine is running fine. Have over ten thousand miles now.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4X4 6.4L Hemi
43 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me just after I bought my truck. It was intermittent but after about 1000 miles it stopped and it has never done it since. Thinking that was just from the break-in process

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seems all engines I have will do that when needing an oil change-many times before the suggested millage/hrs.
The degree of DUTY one puts on an engine along with oil quality has a direct impact on "when to change".
*We have had 2 Freightliners and manuals all point out City vs Long Haul change /maintaince suggestions which I carry over that line of thinking onto all my engines.
Changing the oil stops the puff everytime for me and the little tick from the Chysler motors especially a 318.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If over full residual oil could build up in PCV system. Then when you start there is that oil in intake system It burns off quickly and gone. Also could be with such low miles it is kind of a normal break in thing. But it would be worth having a dealer if under warranty to have documented should something go south later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts