DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2017 Ram 2500 w/a 6.4L Hemi, automatic, crew cab LB Big Horn edition. I also just purchased a travel trailer in Evans, CO and towed it back to Oregon where we live. We averaged 6.7 MPG on the trip running 55-70mph on I80 heading west. I was refueling every 125/130 miles at 80-90 dollars a pop. The truck downshifted a lot, regardless of the tow/haul switch setting reaching at some times 6k RPM. It was a horrible trip.
This is not practical at all. Barring buying a diesel, what can i realistically (and hopefully economically) do to improve towing performance?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
993 Posts
What does the trailer weigh? Did you get 4:10 gears?

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
You might get better visibility and answers in the 4th gen section....this is 3rd gen lol. Still haven't figured out why there is a 392 section in 3rd gen lol

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Is the truck a new 2017 or was it used?
If it's used, does it have stock tires on it?
What size and weight is your TT?
What kind of elevation were you climbing?
I assume that the truck came with 3.73 gears, since about 95% of trucks I have looked at didn't have the 4.10 option.

I can't really offer advice without a little more info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2017 Ram 2500 w/a 6.4L Hemi, automatic, crew cab LB Big Horn edition. I also just purchased a travel trailer in Evans, CO and towed it back to Oregon where we live. We averaged 6.7 MPG on the trip running 55-70mph on I80 heading west. I was refueling every 125/130 miles at 80-90 dollars a pop. The truck downshifted a lot, regardless of the tow/haul switch setting reaching at some times 6k RPM. It was a horrible trip.
This is not practical at all. Barring buying a diesel, what can i realistically (and hopefully economically) do to improve towing performance?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
What gear ratio came in the truck? 4:10 is the better towing gear for these trucks. I have a 2017 ram2500 powerwagon that gets a little over 10mph towing a big pontoon without gear hunting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts