DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put in 6000k HID's for my fog lights and low beams.... the problem is that in the 2 weeks i've had them i've been called multiple things from people that think my HID's are my high beams. I knew they were going to be brighter (obviously) but i'm starting to wonder if it's worth it.... Has anyone else done this conversion had issues or reconsidered? I hate to say it but i'm seriously considering converting back......

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
F em. I have 8k and people haven't said anything but they are pointed down pretty far. When I drop my truck I bet I get complaints.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have 6K HID's in heads and fogs, no big issues so far, I had a guy in a mini cooper cut me off than hammered on his brakes and finger me, pulled up to my driveway and he got out of his car and approached me yelling profanities about my lights. I got out of my truck went into my garage and grabbed a crobar just to have in case, he stopped dead in his tracks and said he was sorry for cutting me off, but that my lights were bright, and then he asked where I got them and if they made a kit for his cooper????? gave him my buddies number.

I don't drive with my fogs on all the time, but the 6K lights work extremely well on rural roads or darker country roads.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
thats just it ppl are stupid because most people should know that fog lights do not stay on with high beams so i say f em aswell

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
The secret to running stock housings with HID's is getting them aligned correctly. In the months I've been running mine I've been flashed 3 times and 2 of those times I killed the fogs and problem was solved. CDNOilRam hit the nail on the head with the fogs are the worst for glare....hell I even find the halogen bulbs in our fogs can blind. Adjust your low beams and all will be well.

·
Registered
208 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind is that the temperature (6000K, 8000K, etc) of the bulb does not determine how bright they are, but rather the color of the light produced. With that said, the more white the light is, the brighter it looks, but its still the same amount of light as the other colors.

The Wattage of the bulb is what mainly determines how much light output there is. If you are running 55W bulbs, try moving down to 35W bulbs before removing them and going back to halogens. You can also retrofit, or replace the housing all together to include projectors.

·
Registered
348 Posts
if you dont have projector headlamps which stock rams dont, it's illegal to have hids in my state. the way the light is dispersed there is no way to aim an hid hence the word projector. since my truck didnt have projectors i simply upgraded my bulbs from the stock h11's to h9's. the light output is far better and i can still aim them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
if you dont have projector headlamps which stock rams dont, it's illegal to have hids in my state. the way the light is dispersed there is no way to aim an hid hence the word projector. since my truck didnt have projectors i simply upgraded my bulbs from the stock h11's to h9's. the light output is far better and i can still aim them.
Its too bad that other states / provinces have not adapted those laws as well. There are a lot of people around here in their little rice cars with the biggest brightest HIDs you can get, without projectors. Its VERY annoying >_>

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
IMHO there's no such thing as 'too bright' as long as they are aimed properly. Check your alignment and they should be good. I'd start with 3-4" below horizontal with the truck 20-25' from the garage door and see how that works.

·
Banned
885 Posts
my 6000k 35w lows are brighter then my hi beams, but I have projectors and I do get flashed brights from time to time but nothing serious as of yet. Wouldnt consider switching back at all because its nice when driving country roads to be able to see lol my lights are annoying though because as of recently when I hit a hard bump my drivers light flickers of and on for a second, but thats my fault, need to double check connection lol

·
Registered
386 Posts
In the all the US, if lights are not DOT approved, they are illegal for use on the road.
I have not seen a HID or projector that has a DOT approval and does not say on the box, "for off road use only".

If you do choose to use these, at least finish the install by adjusting them as not to blind oncoming traffic. Properly adjusted, you will see even better than if they are too high because the light beam is on the road, not in the air!

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport 4x4
4,226 Posts
I don't believe you are correct... It all depends on the color (K- as in 6000k or 8000k) and the difference between 35watt HIDs and 55watt HIDs. 55watts being extremely bright. I live in LA and have never been stopped for my HIDs and have had them for almost two years. Vehicles are now coming with HIDs from the factory so I doubt they are "against the law"

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't believe you are correct... It all depends on the color (K- as in 6000k or 8000k) and the difference between 35watt HIDs and 55watt HIDs. 55watts being extremely bright. I live in LA and have never been stopped for my HIDs and have had them for almost two years. Vehicles are now coming with HIDs from the factory so I doubt they are "against the law"
Again, DOT (Department of Transportation) approval is the key people ignore. All new vehicles are designed and built with DOT regulations. Not so with most, if not all, after market lights units, bulbs, lenses, covers etc.

As for not being stopped in LA for HIDs, the LEOs probably have more important things to do other than lights as they do most everywhere. They don't even stop speeding, red light running and other idiot drivers!

Not being stopped doesn't make it legal.You are just getting away with it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone, i'm going to aim them down a bit and if that doesn't work.... screw it i'll just get the HID high beams so i can flash em back better

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Thanks everyone, i'm going to aim them down a bit and if that doesn't work.... screw it i'll just get the HID high beams so i can flash em back better
It takes about 5-7 seconds for HID's to warm up and shine. They don't do well (performance or longevity) when flashed like you would typical high beams. I recommend putting HID's in your Lows and/or fogs and getting a good pair of true white halogens (Philips CrystalVision or Sylvania Ultras) for your high beams so they'll react fast like you need them to.

·
Registered
348 Posts
the hids from the factory are in projector lenses not a standard halogen bulb lense. i put hids in my wifes car love em, but her car came with projector lenses that direct the light downward that is the difference. yea a cop wont stop you just cause of your headlights but if he suspects something else he will use that as an excuse to pull you over.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Sport, night edition
1,519 Posts
You need to aim them a little lower or people will always be flashing you. once you do that you'll love them

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ok, the 6000k and 8000k and 10000k don't have much to do with brightness, those are the numbers on the color scale for the bulb.

You'r headlamps have adjustments on them to change the direction of the beam, check these up against a wall.

Also, our trucks headlamps are not made to use HID bulbs, HID bulbs require a projector style lamp to make sure the beam is cut low and to reduce glare.

So yea, you are blinding people, I get blinded all the time. Just because you do not have your highbeams on does not mean that your lowbeams and fogs are too high/creating too much glare.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts