DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 1500 CC with 5.7 and 65RFE six speed is having some issues, which might be an understatement. As of this weekend, the first few gears operate and shift as normal. If I lock out the transmission manually in “3”, it will shift without issue up to that point. The problem begins at 4 and up: upon making the shift to “4th”, the trans slowly sleeps out of gear and begins to freewheel while the revs obviously climb. The trans will only re-engage upon either manually shifting it back down into 3rd. Trans temps are normal and fluid does not look burnt or smell abundantly burnt.

My fear here is that the overdrive clutch pack is wasted, but I am wondering if potentially the torque converter is to blame here, or something else? I do have 4th and 5th gear incorrect gear ratio codes being thrown, as well as hydraulic line pressure sensor irregularity, which is consistent with a burnt overdrive clutch pack. Prior to this, the trans would rev hunt going up even minor hills before giving a harsh downshift down to “5th”. Some hunting and rough downshifts were also being observed around town in any of the overdrive gears with anything more that moderate throttle. Which is why I also briefly considered a bad converter, but I am probably being hopeful at this point.

The truck has 110,000 miles and 4.56 gears.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
162 Posts
With your gear ratio the transmission shouldn't be hunting for gears. I have 2013 R/T with 4.10 gears, and I have lived in New Jersey and Louisiana. Driving to and from I have never had my 6 speed hunt for gears, even in the mountains in Virginia and Tennessee. I would say that your transmission is slipping.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts