DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 103k mile 65RFE trans has recently not liked staying in the last two overdrive gears when attempting to lightly accelerate on the highway. When cold, there is a bit of a flare or slip when accelerating moderately in the shift to the highest gear. Trans fluid is perfect and no metal. My concern is a weakened clutch pack, but I take care to not go WOT or hard down and out of the overdrive gears. More than light throttle pressure at highway speed in the top two gears, especially when climbing a small to moderate incline, feels like the trans is hunting around and wants to downshift. Occasionally, on steeper grades, unless I lock it out in 4th, the RPMS will vane and it will refuse to stay in 6th, sometimes even 5th, and puts into a limp mode into 4th.

For the last year or more, I occasionally get a hard clunk downshift when a 4-3 shift occurs, like coming off a corner and accelerating while in 4th.After enough times of this event, a PO0734 4th Gear Incorrect Ratio code will be thrown. This has not worsened or improved in the last 6 or 7 months.

Fluid and filter changed every 30,000 miles and temps are never seen over 165 degrees, even on the highway with 4.56 gears.

A Hemifever tune has been used since Day 1 and these issues occur with or without it. No WOT downshifts are made from 4th and up, without manually downshifting.

Any thoughts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey MoparJ,

I am curious if you had found a solution?

my truck is acting very similar, however after changing the solenoid pack it will not go into limp mode but can not stay in 6th or 5th and if it does the fuel usage is outrageous like 8 MPG! I have been driving around with it locked to fourth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My truck did the same thing I replaced valve body and solenoid pack and was throwing a code saying tcc clutch solenoid malfunction and was making my truck do the same thing I just replaced the trans with an xp auto stage two no more engine lights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts