DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Just took the pan off and went put new filters in. Got a Hastings TK174 kit with both filters and a gasket. The screw on filter fit fine. The pickup filter fit fine but then I couldn't put the pan back on. That filter has a bulge that the OEM filter doesn't. The bulge is near the retaining screw. Put the OEM filter back in and reported it to Hastings.

I was under the impression that it would take 6 quarts, so I bought 7. Not enough, bought 2 more. Still not enough. Going to go get 2 more. It isn't leaking and drives fine. Just how many do you think it can take?

I can't measure what I took out as much of it is now mixed with speedy dry - and some soaked into the floor :( I did capture about 6.5 quarts so maybe 8 total? I'm over that already.

Just curious.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Normal pan drop is about 7-1/2 quarts, but if you let it drain a while up to half the oil in the converter will slowly drain out also, so you can end up with another 2-3 quarts I believe.

For a 2011 or later truck, you should be using the "4x4" style filter. There used to be a different filter for 2WD models, but during 2010 MY it changed so everything now uses the 4x4 filter. If you use the 2WD style filter in a 2011 or later truck, you're right, the pan won't go on since it will bang into the filter.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS!

Yes I let it drain until it was done dripping. That explains it. I feel much better now. I didn't want to overfill.

The filter charts don't ask about 4X4 or not. I told their engineers that it didn't fit and they were going to investigate.

Thanks again
Shel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts