DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I had posted this to another forum earlier, I guess I was in a comedic mood) Enjoy the pander... and if inclined... please help.

------------

I have a love/hate relationship with my new relationship with Big Red, a Fire engine wild child 2007.5 Dually 3500 4x4 with the 6.7L & 68rfe combo. Although she is a fine looking machine, she comes with baggage. The auto trans does what it wants to do, and does it well...automatically.

Hoping one or more of you can counsel me through this relationship epidemic, as I am losing the love.

First noticeable issue is surging, if you are at a stop light the truck feels like it wants to push you through the intersection.
I have been starting to shift to neutral and coast into the traffic lights, than shift to drive when the light turns green.
Second noticeable issue is when shifting out of reverse to park or drive to neutral there is a great noisy release of pressure.
It feels like the Torque convertor is locked up even at rest, and the truck continues to boost even though you are stopped.
Third noticeable thing is the manual shift +/- buttons on the gear shifter do not work at all.

Fourth is a mystery problem, sometimes the truck will be shifting fine through all 6 gears. Then after stopping at a couple traffic lights, will suddenly not shift into the higher gears leaving me at 2500+ RPM at 50mph. When this happens I pull over on the side of the road and shut her off completely. I remove the key from the ignition. Than I put the key back in the ignition, and drive away and all the gears work again like nothing has happened. Sometimes I have to repeat this process 2 times before it takes again. How Moody she is.

Fifth is a strange mixed bag also, I fiddled with the +/- button on the gear shifter and it suddenly went into 4th and would not come back out. This was especially scary when I was at a intersection with a loaded trailer. Talk about disrupting those around you with that! Some concerned motorists shared some very nice words and finger gestures with me, needless to say neither I or Big Red felt good after those incidents.

Additional Info: In her previous relationship in addition to some cosmetic surgery, her previous man got her high
on a Edge Attitude Juice Programmer, which she still has to this day. I found that the OBDII plug was not plugged in. So I plugged that in and things actually got WORSE. My trans temps started spiking. No wonder it was not plugged in, so I followed suit and let the dead dog lay. Not plugged in = normal temps. Ok strange. Also, her previous relationship liberated her of her Catalytic. Not sure if any of this is playing into the drama.
I recently flushed the fund, there was no changes after the fluid change. I have not yet dropped the pan.

The reason I do not give up on the trans completely, is she is pretty faithful with being able to carry other trucks such as a Superduty F350 Crewcab on a hauler trailer with ease. I am hoping this relationship problem can be something relatively easier to fix than completely giving up and replacing a transmission.

I was previously the adopted dad to a great son, a White 2003 3rd Gen 5.9L 46re 4x4 3500 Dually that literally was most loyal kid a father could have. In 5 years/200k our relationship mostly only yielded normal services such as fluids and brakes. Only once I had a malfunction in the trans with the 3rd gear start off, which I was able to change out the pressure switch and solenoid to never have those issues again. Unfortunately a hit from the rear end accident ended our relationship prematurely in December 2017. I will sorely miss him. I didn't stay lonely long, Soon after I met Big Red.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Great read, usually when I'm reading longer posts at 1am they help put me to bed. But not yours, well written. I have 2500 with same drive train, never had those problems so unfortunately I'm gonna be no help. But mine definitely has her moods too, Damn check gauges light and ding. Good luck

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Geez, the fact that it was tuned by the PO means there are a lot of reasons this could be happening. I'm betting he messed with the shift schedule and then when he removed the tuner to sell the truck the factory programming wasn't restored.

Hopefully TransEngineer will pop in here, he's a genius with these things

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.