DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm hoping to find someone with some real world experience with a 68RFE automatic transmission. A couple months ago I purchased a 2007 Ram 3500 Dually with only 144k miles on it. It was advertised by a used car dealership in PA as having a "smooth shifting transmission". It had already been Deleted, etc and had an older Torque tuner. Apparently they are out of business, so that will be a future replacement goal...

The main issue I'm down to is the transmission. The second I pulled it off the transporters lot 25 miles from home, it slipped and shuddered going into 2nd gear. It also feels like it's slipping going into 3rd, then revs up a little higher before 4th gear locks in. It does this in Overdrive, manual mode and Tow/Haul mode. If you're basically idling/low rpm's, you don't feel it acting up. Anything more than that and you'll feel it.

A local Chrysler Dealership drove it and told me I needed to rebuild it, or go with a new transmission from them. There was only about a $400 difference between the two option. On the rebuild, they only priced a new Valve Body, a Torque Converter and a Gasket set. So that wasn't really a "rebuild" as far as I'm concerned.

A independent transmission shop told me they'd start with pulling the Valve Body, checking it for warping and rebuilding the Valve Body. So, I figured I'd get part of that out of the way myself! I ordered and installed a RevMax Valve Body and a Brand New Solenoid Pack this last Saturday. After doing the Quick Relearn procedure, I took it for a test drive. I thought the transmission was shifting smoother and quicker when going down my gravel road. But when I hit the blacktop and actually accelerated a little harder, "not that hard", I felt the slip and shudder going into 2nd gear. Yes, you can say I wan't too happy!!

So, where to go from this point?!?! Obviously the transmission needs to be pulled at this point. Do you think I only need a good aftermarket Torque Converter? Or am I going to need new clutches all the way throughout it while it's out. I'm on a budget right now to get this truck running good enough to pull a loaded Stock 24' gooseneck stock trailer a 24' flatbed loaded down with big round bales of hay. So, 18,000 lb loads when I am pulling a trailer aren't out of the question.

Looking for some first had experience, so if anyone can lead me in the right direction I'd appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Wish I had better info but your prob gonna need the whole enchilada. Did you ask the dealer what the smooth shifting meant lol? Lemon law apply for that? Good luck, your prob gonna spend some money but hopefully that will be it for a while, that's the prob with buying used. I'm right there with you too, just replaced entire ac system in mine and will have to do steering box soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I know. Just wish he'd of been honest about the condition of the truck. I've already had to replace all the tie rods, both front hubs (That was fun. Not!) Install a working electric fan clutch, seeing the existing one had wires that were sheared off. (Another fun one!) Install six new tires (Apparently they don't know what 50% tread remaining means) seeing they averaged 12%... That was just to get it to pass a Missouri State Safety Inspection. Then had the bed sprayed with Line X and a B & W gooseneck hitch installed. So someday, I can actually use this truck to pull a trailer with. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I'm hoping to find someone with some real world experience with a 68RFE automatic transmission. A couple months ago I purchased a 2007 Ram 3500 Dually with only 144k miles on it. It was advertised by a used car dealership in PA as having a "smooth shifting transmission". It had already been Deleted, etc and had an older Torque tuner. Apparently they are out of business, so that will be a future replacement goal...

The main issue I'm down to is the transmission. The second I pulled it off the transporters lot 25 miles from home, it slipped and shuddered going into 2nd gear. It also feels like it's slipping going into 3rd, then revs up a little higher before 4th gear locks in. It does this in Overdrive, manual mode and Tow/Haul mode. If you're basically idling/low rpm's, you don't feel it acting up. Anything more than that and you'll feel it.

A local Chrysler Dealership drove it and told me I needed to rebuild it, or go with a new transmission from them. There was only about a $400 difference between the two option. On the rebuild, they only priced a new Valve Body, a Torque Converter and a Gasket set. So that wasn't really a "rebuild" as far as I'm concerned.

A independent transmission shop told me they'd start with pulling the Valve Body, checking it for warping and rebuilding the Valve Body. So, I figured I'd get part of that out of the way myself! I ordered and installed a RevMax Valve Body and a Brand New Solenoid Pack this last Saturday. After doing the Quick Relearn procedure, I took it for a test drive. I thought the transmission was shifting smoother and quicker when going down my gravel road. But when I hit the blacktop and actually accelerated a little harder, "not that hard", I felt the slip and shudder going into 2nd gear. Yes, you can say I wan't too happy!!

So, where to go from this point?!?! Obviously the transmission needs to be pulled at this point. Do you think I only need a good aftermarket Torque Converter? Or am I going to need new clutches all the way throughout it while it's out. I'm on a budget right now to get this truck running good enough to pull a loaded Stock 24' gooseneck stock trailer a 24' flatbed loaded down with big round bales of hay. So, 18,000 lb loads when I am pulling a trailer aren't out of the question.

Looking for some first had experience, so if anyone can lead me in the right direction I'd appreciate it!!!
Have you checked your carrier bearing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts